Best WiFi Smart Plugs Reviews UK 2020 - Top-Rated Models Compared
Last Updated on September 5, 2020
Do you ever sit and wonder about how our great-grandparents would feel about a device that’s plugged into a power socket of your home and can control all the devices linked to its power supply? We often do and are simply left in awe of the oddities surrounding modern technology. Thanks to these little devices that make your life easier and bills cheaper, you can brew coffee, start your washing machine and turn the TV on without even having to get up from your couch! It surely is a fantastic unit, but which exactly is the best one?
Best Wi-Fi Smart Plugs On The UK Market Reviewed In 2020
The best Wi-Fi smart plug is the TECKIN 13 A model that comes with four plugs for you to distribute around the house. The smart Wi-Fi plug uses the ‘Smart Life’ app compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Using an integrated active chipset, the best smart plug by TECKIN allows you to either operate it by remote or through voice commands. Thanks to its latest version base design, the unit will flawlessly fit into your UK wall socket while not interfering with the switch.
Also, the best smart plug will work effortlessly with any Wi-Fi router, so you won’t have to purchase a separate hub. Another great advantage to the device is its schedule timer mode that grants you the ability to turn the device on and off automatically by using pre-set schedule times. This is an excellent energy monitoring tool as well since it stops you from leaving your home devices unnecessarily turned on through the day. All you need to do to install the smart plug is to download the app, follow its instructions, and enjoy the comfort of your newly found smart life.
- Its integrated overload protection circuit ensures complete safety.
- It is made of a special flame retardant ABS polymer that prevents fire hazards.
- It’s slotted with a sliding safety cover that prevents harm for little children and animals.
- You can use its app interface within several phone devices using the same credentials.
- It is only compatible with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies.
- Some customers reported that they encountered some issues with its initial pairing process.
Meross and Amazon make up a fantastic combination, especially when considering the high endorsement they have made to this excellent product. The two-pack smart home plug is compatible with the Apple Homekit iPhone iWatch (iOS 13 or above), while also working with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, Echo and Nest Hub too. As with the best smart plugs, you can control your devices by either using the AI’s remote function or voice control.
You can also operate your home appliances from wherever you are, by merely using the Meross app provided - meaning that you don’t have to be near your wireless router. Another great advantage to these best smart plugs lies in its security protection measurements that only use your local network, making it impossible for intruders to have access to your data. The meross smart home plug also supplies a schedule and timer function, saving time, effort, and energy.
- You can set its timer function to turn devices on and off automatically (via a schedule period).
- It has an intuitive setup interface that will get it going under two minutes.
- It supports a sunrise and sunset setting.
- It uses several safety measures that protect your data.
- Its HomeKit version requires iOS 13.0 or higher.
- It is only suitable with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies.
TP-Link is a championing company for Wi-Fi extensions, and its HS100 Kasa smart model certainly supports that. The elegant device is one of the best smart plugs in the market because it succeeds in both functionality and efficiency, under a very reasonable price. The Kasa smart home device is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, providing the best AI experience with either remote or voice control.
The TP-Link Kasa smart plug is compatible with any router, so you won’t have to install a separate hub to get it to work. The system requirements for the best smart plug include +Android 5.0 and iOS 10 or higher. You can also control all your connected home devices by using the pre-set schedule and countdown timers that are provided within the Kasa Smart app. Alternatively, you can also use the TP-Link ‘away mode’ that automatically turns your home devices on and off at different times, so it gives away the expression that someone is at home.
- Its energy monitoring feature analyses its power consumption.
- Its remote access lets you use the Kasa smart app even when you’re away from home.
- It’s made of durable materials, making it sustainable in the long term.
- Good value for money.
- Its upgraded firmware was noted to have problems with disconnecting from the Wi-Fi.
- It tends to overhead while operating devices above 3 kW.
TECKIN comes with yet another unit that is undeniably one of the best smart plugs online. Much like its counterpart, the Outlet smart plug is compatible with both Alexa and Google Assistant, offering you a convenience that’s unmatched for. The smart home plug is one of the best choices for families because it uses a sharing feature that allows you to use the same credentials on several devices for all the members of the household.
Thanks to the remote access that the smart plug provides, you can check the real-time condition and status of your devices. You can also use its Smart Life app to create schedules, timers or countdowns for your connected units based on your daily routines. Its comfortable design is specially made to fit a UK socket or power strip without blocking the switch and causing more problems on the go.
- It allows you to set a schedule automatically even if the network is on shutdown.
- It has an overload protection circuit that prevents overheating and other hazards.
- You can share its app interface with the entire family.
- It has a Work in Scenario feature that matches specific situations including sunrise or sunset, humidity, temperature, weather, air quality and so on.
- It won’t work on dual-band routers or 5 GHz frequencies only.
- It doesn’t work with Android’s Smart Things app, which some found to be aggravating.
Another fantastic product is right among the best smart plugs online and comes to us by Gosund by applying a variety of use like no other. The smart plug can be easily installed and connected by using the Gosund app that is compatible with both iOS and Android units. The good news is that the device doesn’t require an additional hub for installation, and the dual-band issue can be overtaken within minutes. All you have to do is switch back to the 2 GHz range, set up the smart plug, and go back to the initial dual-band frequency without further worrying.
We can also label the Gosund unit as the best smart plug because it allows for useful energy monitoring that can easily save lives (and bills!). The smart Wi-Fi plug lets you monitor the current-voltage and energy consumption of your home devices while providing with real-time reports the energy consumption. This energy monitoring feature is to die for because it gives you a hint on which appliances are wasting the most energy, how they are going about it and how you can reduce the consumption rate.
- It has a schedule and timer function that controls the home devices on automatic mode.
- Its lightweight and compact build ensure that it will take minimal space.
- It allows you to control it even when you are away from your home network.
- It has a grouping of control that allows you to categorise devices together.
- Some consumers reported that the Gosund app was hard to use.
- It was noted that the product arrival wasn’t satisfactory.
Meross has got quite a few loyal-purchasers, partly because of their growing innovative base and partly for the reliability they promote with their products. That is why the MSS210 model is one of the best smart plugs of 2020, and also a fan favourite among customers worldwide. Because the smart Wi-Fi plug has the same chipset supplier than Amazon Echo, it is compatible with a lot of AIs, including Apple HomeKit, Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri.
Prioritising on customer safety, Meross has manufactured its smart plug with an ABS fire-retardant housing and supplied it with an overload protection circuit. Several customers have also labelled the MSS210 as the best smart plug in terms of customisation since it includes schedule settings that offer an incredible convenience of life. Specifically, by using its scene function, you can easily create an “I’m home” scenario that turns on your AC, incites the humidifier and starts brewing the coffee - all at once.
- It allows you to control the appliances even when you are not home.
- It has a creative app that’s very easy to use.
- It’s manufactured with a self-closing design that keeps out the reach of children and pets.
- It has a manual on/off switch.
- It doesn’t have an energy monitoring feature.
- Its access to inboard switches and power strip tools is fiddly.
For those of you who want to trust Amazon with being more than just an easy supplier, we present its 2020 released product that’s easily one of the best smart plugs to date. This unit can work on Alexa-enabled gadgets like Echo, Fire, Sonos One, or even just the Alexa App on your phone. Because Amazon manufactured the smart plug to match the iOS interface, it is easy to set up and even more comfortable to use.
All you need to do to get the smart plug to work is to plug it into the socket, head over to the Alexa app and ask it to turn on the first plug. Its LED indicator will you know if you have powered the unit on, while its power button allows you to either reset the smart plug or turn it on manually. The Wi-Fi smart plug also has a scheduling feature that sets up healthy routines according to your daily patterns, like brewing coffee in the morning or turning on the AC on midday.
- It comes with a limited one-year warranty by Amazon.
- It is easy to set up and simple to use.
- It has a schedule function and a remote control setting.
- It doesn’t require an additional smart hub.
- It’s not compatible with voice assistants or smart hubs other than Alexa.
- It does not support 5 GHz networks or connecting to ad hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
If the best smart plugs are those who have broad compatibility and high functionality, then the Tapo model by TP-Link is more than a worthy mention. Being suitable for any router, the TP-Link Wi-Fi smart plug can work with both Alexa and Google Assistant. Its remote control ensures that controlling your home appliances is easy, can be done anywhere, and only requires you to have the TP-Link Tapo app installed and connected with the best smart plug.
The TP-Link device’s sharing feature warrants the app to be used by all members of the family, by merely sharing its management permissions for multiple control. The smart Wi-Fi plugs also supply a schedule and timer mode that automatically powers your electronics on and off as needed. You can also customise this feature through its pre-set schedules and countdown timers that mimic your daily routine and translate it to easy, smart living.
- It contains a sliding safety cover that protects children from electrical shock.
- It comes with a two-year limited warranty by TP-Link.
- Its V-0 rating PC flame retardant materials help minimise the risk of fire hazards.
- It provides an away-mode that makes it look like you are home when you’re abroad or travelling.
- It’s not fit for purpose with a power strip or extension lead.
- It doesn’t support IFTTT functions.
The next manufacturing start showcased within the best smart plugs list of 2020 is Avatar Controls who have supplied the top smart Wi-Fi plugs that come to us in the pack of two. Granting you to use the plugs wherever you need them, Avatar has provided the Smart Life app compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and Echo. Because it requires no additional hub or bridge, you can set up the smart plugs as soon as you remove its packaging.
As with the best smart plugs, the Avatar Controls unit can also monitor and manage your home appliance’s power consumption anywhere and anytime by only using the Smart Life app. The features of the smart Wi-Fi plug don’t stop there, since you can also adjust a schedule, timer or countdown to your preferred times - which will undoubtedly make you feel you’ve got a personal assistant watching your every step.
- It supports a multi-device control system that lets all your family join in.
- The Smart Life app that’s connected with it has one of the most intuitive interfaces to date.
- It can create groups of all your smart units.
- It picks up the WiFi signal expertly while supplying a meagre disconnection rate.
- Its plastic material is not very durable and may be prone to damage.
- It has a slightly large build that was problematic for many people owning slightly older houses with larger sockets.
Last but not least, we have yet another device that is among the best smart plugs in terms of compatibility. Although its primary voice control is Alexa, you can also use the smart Wi-Fi plugs on Google Home Assistant, Echo, IFTTT and NestHub. Luckily for everyone involved, all the members of your family can use the app and chip in on creating a better smart home experience. The WiFi smart plug is compact-sized and uses a lovely design - meaning that it will not only interfere with the power strip or socket, but it will look good whenever it’s placed.
You can also use the Smart Life app to create schedules on countdowns for when you want your lamp, kettle, AC, fans or water heaters to start at your convenience. Scheduling also functions as the best energy monitoring practice since it helps you keep the power-hungry appliances off when they are not needed. You can also use Google Assistant to give each smart plug a unique name and combine multiple smart materials into one category for more natural control.
- It doesn’t require an external hub for installation.
- It provides with the current energy usage in real-time consumption rates.
- It’s manufactured with a sliding safety cover that will protect your kids and pets.
- Good value for money.
- It’s not compatible with BT Home Hub.
- Several customers noted that it arrived in flimsy packaging.
Wi-Fi Smart Plugs Buying Guide
Final verdict? Smart WiFi plugs make your life easy, whether you choose the best product or settle for a more simple one. Redesigning your ordinary house into a smart one has never been easier, and we should best be grateful to these little units that plug into your wall socket or power strip - thus redefining convenience and efficiency. But what do the best smart plugs have that you need? Alexa - show us!
- AI Compatibility - Remotely controlling your appliances is one thing, but doing that by only using your voice is superb! Besides Apple products that are only compatible with Siri and Apple Homekit, there are a lot of other smart plugs that are fit for purpose with all AIs like Alexa, Google Assistant, Echo or even Nesthub.
- Hub or no Hub? - We have included the best smart plugs that don’t require an additional hub to be installed, but you should know some do. Mainly, an extra hub is necessary for using third-party apps that are not primarily compatible with the smart plug you’ve purchased. Hubs are also helpful in conjoining two or more smart units (like lamps), but it costs extra and is not always crucial for use.
- Power Limitations - Smart plugs are the best at cutting back effort, but you can’t plug just anything into them. The best smart plug or power strip should be able to take as much as 1800 W, considering how appliances like ACs, heaters, kettles or other units are plugged in.
- Smart Plug Packs or Power Strip? - Most smart plugs are plugged within one socket, but they usually come in packs of two (or more). This is the most frequent type, and it substitutes a spot on the wall socket. However, a lot of manufacturers are designing full-on power strips that supply individually controlled smart plugs within a single piece. They are great for multiple units but are not yet utilised correctly for the market.
- Energy Monitoring (Optional) - If you’re an energy-conscious person, then you might find this feature especially favourable. The best WiFi plugs supply an in-app monitoring function that allows you to observe the real-time consumption levels of each plug and a monthly or annual estimate of the most power-hungry appliances in your house.
Q: Is there a smart plug that works on 5 GHz?
A: Yes, you can find a lot of smart home plugs that work on 5 GHz. However, the best smart plugs usually use a 2.4 GHz frequency range because it is more reliable, and it can cover a broader scale.
Q: Do smart plugs use a lot of WiFi?
A: No, a smart plug uses a minimal amount of WiFi that is generally smaller than an MP3 song download. On average, the best smart plugs use up about 30 MB per month, which is nothing to worry about.
Q: What can I do with WiFi smart plug?
A: A WiFi smart plug allows you to automate all appliances that can apply to a smart home system. This includes turning the lights, blinds, curtains or shades on/off; starting the kettle, washing machine, dryer or AC or even automating different groups of appliances at once.
Q: Are smart plugs worth it?
A: A smart home plug generally has no downside, so it is most definitely worth it. The best smart plugs help you save money, keep the electricity bill lower and reduce your energy and efforts to a minimum. Even if you settle for a more traditional plug that doesn’t do all the above, you will still get automatisation which is more than ideal for today’s fast-paced lives.