10 Best Outdoor TV Aerials For Freeview Reviews UK 2020 - Top-Rated Models Compared
Last Updated on September 8, 2020
Freeview is an excellent platform that luckily still functions with aerials, giving you crystal clear channels that are enjoyable for everyone in the family. Whether you live in a populated city or a rather remote region and are experiencing trouble with obtaining a good tv signal, an outdoor antenna might be the best choice for you. However, if you're not quite the tech-savvy and need some guidance with that, don't fret! We have managed to review the best possible tv aerials for Freeview in the United Kingdom, so you're just one click away from watching BBC news in your comfortable couch.
Best Outdoor TV Aerials On The UK Market Reviewed In 2020
The best outdoor aerial tv for Freeview is the DVB66 Portable model by Chaowei, due to its reliability in high quality service while broadcasting uncompressed full HD channels. The neat-looking compact aerial will perfectly blend in with your indoor appliances or outdoor décor while offering the best tv signal. The 360 omnidirectional VHF and UHF receiving components make the device improve its reception when it's placed on a metallic base. Moreover, this line of outdoor aerials is compatible with both Freeview and DAB broadcasting, so you should see agreeable results with whichever platform you choose.
According to the manufacturers, this t v aerial is incredibly easy to install, as it can be assembled in just under three minutes. Moreover, the durable coaxial cable is built of a solid centre conductor, dielectric insulation, and three layers of aluminium shielding, making it not only affect the picture quality but the overall longevity of the device as well. Lastly, this tv antenna is also suitable for any digital TV in your car, boat, van or motorhome, so you can get the entertainment with you wherever you go.
- The surrounding cable in the aerial for tv is 2 metres (6'5''), so moving the device around to your preferred position won't be a problem.
- It is very easy to install, and all the requirements are carefully specified in the instruction manual.
- The compact size it employs allows for it to placed just anywhere without affecting the TV signals.
- The versatile antenna is waterproof, meaning that it will sustain foul weather while working efficiently.
- The aerial works best in windowsills that face transmitting towers, so placing it on other locations might cause it to not pick up some channels.
The SLx tri-fold tv aerial is an excellent tool for receiving locally available programmes even in weaker signal spaces, which is very convenient for outdoor and loft environments. The integrated 4G filter combats the interference caused by mobile phones and other digital devices, so the aerial promotes good signal at all times. Moreover, the handy fold-out design and the quick assembly procedure make this device one of the best aerials for tv available.
Additionally, the high gain aerial kit has a large reflector which is a champion at enhancing directivity. Also, the dipole is impedance matched while the connection uses an f-connector, further improving picture quality. Perhaps the greatest advantage to these outdoor tv aerials lies in the fact that while being tuned to receive all UHF Digital TV signals and specializing in Freeview, these co UK products prioritize on customer care and superior assistance, offering full-time local support, whenever you need it.
- The screws, brackets and cable come packaged with the aerial and the assembling instructions, so the whole installation process is comparatively easier.
- Several customers found that the picture quality employed by this device is splendid and they got to tune in to numerous channels they hadn't had before.
- The construction of the aerial is very firm, so the device is quite durable.
- SLx provides a 12 month full warranty period.
- Some customers stated that the bracket doesn't clutch the pole securely enough to restrict movement unless it's nearly perfectly steady, which can be a hassle in windy regions.
- This line of aerials tv by SLx work best in strong to medium gain areas, so if you live in low signal blocks, you might experience some setbacks in the picture quality and channels acquisition.
Labelled as the best tv aerial that promotes reliability, this Labgear device operates with a 14.5 dBi forward high gain which is ideal for obtaining TV signal from medium, weak and fringe areas. Furthermore, designed to limit bandwidth between 470 - 790 MHz to counter interference and channel loss on TVs caused by 4G mobile phones, this tv aerial is perfect to use in larger households where digital devices are on the heavier side.
Due to its unique compressed folding design and easy dipole construction, this device is incredibly easy to assemble and get to work. Moreover, the tilting pole clip is carefully built to assist with easy adjustment whereas the massive reflector efficiently promotes directivity in various positions. The biggest perk of buying this tool lies on the fact that you can rest assured in the overall quality and performance of this tv aerial, since the Labgear devices have a 60-year reputation in reliability and innovation, bringing you the most outstanding products to date.
- Its compact size and design go perfectly well with most conservation areas and collective lofts.
- The aerial is very easy to install and all materials are provided.
- The high gain build makes it perfect for areas with low signal acquisition.
- Some customers have reported that they had received slightly damaged packaging while ordering this device online.
Another excellent TV antenna by SLX is the 27887K4 model, specializing in high picture quality due to its capacity to receive all locally available digital TV signals, either on SD, 4K or HD. In line with the most current requirements for electronic products, this outdoor aerial contains an integrated 4G & LTE filter as well, so the signal emitted from mobile phones and other technological devices won't cause channel loss or demolished picture quality.
The 12 dB high gain tv aerial is designed for easy assembly, thanks to the full kit containing a tilting aerial clamp, a large cranked pole, a mounting bracket, a 10-metre digital coax cable and clips; as well as a coax plug. Moreover, this device is one of the best energy-efficient outdoor aerials that you can find, since its A+ energy rating ensures that the aerial only consumes an annual 0 kWh in a TV that operates for approximately four hours a day.
- The device works efficiently in sheds and other enclosed areas, promoted that you place it in a clear line of sight with the transmitter.
- It is incredibly easy to assemble, and all the materials and instructions are provided.
- The 27887K4 aerial is one of the best values for the money.
- Because the aerial is rather lightweight, it might not make a good choice for windy areas.
- The mounts that are supplied within the packaging are aimed for attics, so you may need to get an additional outdoor fitting kit.
If you grew to like the previous model but was disappointed to find that it isn't quite fit for outdoor areas, then the 27884D4 model is the best choice for you. The high gain 48 element SLx wideband in this tv aerial promotes a full reception scale while being suitable with Freeview, so you can easily get a good signal with 70 TV channels, 15 HD channels, and more than 30 radio stations, all with no subscription.
With overall dimensions of 50 x 30 x 30 cm and weighing 1.6 kg, this tv aerial is durable as it is functional while withstanding wind, rain or heat in any preferred outdoor space. Furthermore, the very essential 4G filter ensures that the interfering signals from mobiles won't get mixed up with the tv antenna, thus maintaining good sound and picture quality at all times.
Following the trend of saving up on the energy bill at the end of the month, this A++ rated device is also very efficient, with the same minimal annual energy consumption (0 kWh).
- The tv aerial can operate with capacities up to 790 MHz while maintaining the high gain aptitudes.
- Due to its high reception signal, it has a very high success rate in improving the picture quality on Freeview channels.
- SLx offers a 12 month full warranty period.
- If your living space has to use a horizontal signal, then the heavy rainfall might get clogged into the terminal box which will cause the aerial to break the connection.
- Some customers reported that they had to find additional screws and parts to assemble the aerial since the device is rather fiddly upon installation.
Like most innovative manufacturers, 1 by One has created a compact tv aerial that's equipped with superior construction which endures all weather conditions, be it rain, snow, wind or heat. Thanks to its anti-UV coating and waterproof design, you can use the digital tv aerial in both horizontal and vertical positions, so it will be ultimately easier and more efficient to get the best tv signal that is obtainable in your area.
Additionally, the integrated LTE filter blocks all 3G and 4G signals from your electronic devices, so you can enjoy a noise-free non-breaking good signal at all times.
Another feature you might like lies in the fact that compared to traditional aerials that are too large and complicated to install, this line of products is incredibly easy to mount whether you want to get it on your roof. balcony, living room or attic.
- Thanks to the convenient holder, the direction of the receptor is adjustable, depending on the signal it can find.
- The aerial comes equipped with a 24-month warranty period.
- The device will still work perfectly even if it's positioned in a region surrounded by other houses.
- The aerial is not suitable for areas that don't have a transmitter in their line of sight.
- Since the aerial is mainly made of plastic, some customers reported that its durability didn't sustain with longer use.
1ByOne brings another great contender on the list for the best digital tv areal, due to its variability in use and overall practicality in easy signal reception. This series of tools-free installation products make the assembly process very easy, championing in design, style and general functionality. The included outdoor bracket along with the use of a waterproof coating in its external built make this aerial the best choice of use in regions that suffer from more troublesome weather conditions like heavy rain, snowfall or problematic wind.
Moreover, remaining fit for receiving both Freeview and Analogue digital TV signal, these 1ByOne products as easy to set up as they are to install. All you have to do is to connect to a digital TV that employs a built-in DVB-T tuner or receiver using coaxial cable. Generally, the areal works best on strong to medium signal receiving regions, providing a crystal clear reception, high-level picture quality and exceptional sound conditions.
- The aerial is provided with a 24-month warranty period.
- The stylish design and compact size make these products not only easy to install but easy to fit in with their environments as well.
- The aerial is very budget-friendly considering all the features it engages.
- If you position this aerial outside of the line of sight towards the transmitter then you might need an amp to block out interfering signals.
Another aerial manufacturer that attempts to give the conventional products' a modern twist is August, that has designed a lightweight and compact-sized aerial that is perfect for receiving HD Freeview channels on digital TVs. The great quality signal can be obtained within the first minutes of getting the aerial, thanks to its easy to install procedure that's ideally completed on very short amounts of time.
Furthermore, the magnetic base in this series of products successfully improves the reception thanks to its large metal surfaces that amplify the signal. Due to this feature, you won't need to buy additional intensifying products like amps, since the aerial provides those functions within itself. Moreover, thanks to its 1.5 metres cable, the aerial promotes an easy and flexible location finding that further ensures optimum reception levels.
- These products efficiently receive DVB-T HD DVB-T broadcast as well as FM / DAB radio.
- The aerial is suitable and flexible for any location, like bedrooms, living room, windowpanes, campervans, boats or cars (as long as they're metallic products!).
- The device is weatherproof, meaning that it will sustain under any meteorological condition.
- If you live in a fringe reception area, the areal might not transmit all the channels provided by Freeview.
- The aerial doesn't provide with a good (or adequate) signal when placed in posts that are not metal.
Once again, 1ByOne comes with a great range of products employing a modernised touch to conventional practicality. This compact areal with overall dimensions of 24 x 17 x 11.5 cm can be easily assembled and installed in whichever position you choose, as long as it has a good signal reception from your local transmitter. Moreover, all the tools required for installation are minimal and included in the packaging.
Operating on par with other 1ByOne products, this aerial has a built-in LTE filter that obstructs signals from mobiles, tablets and wireless networks to ensure a stable TV watching experience. Aiming at providing solid, durable products, 1ByOne has designed the aerial with a waterproof coating, anti-UV layer and strong outdoor bracket - so you can rest assured that your device will power through all the nuisances of UK weather.
- The aerial comes with a 12-month warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee period.
- The device can pick up the signal even in regions that don't have a TV tower within its line of sight.
- Its great design style makes it match any outdoor/indoor decor, so it won't stand out in an ugly manner.
- Unless you install it upright and it doesn't suffer any cracks, the 'bulb' of the aerial can be filled with water and cause the device to malfunction.
- Some consumers have reported that the receiving signal was significantly lower when the aerial was placed indoors as opposed to outdoors.
Applying a not seen before layout and style, the indoor TV aerial by Firmrock comes as a very welcome addition to the best aerial products currently on the market. The detachable amplifier effectively improves tv reception while delivering a 1080p picture quality to any digital TVs, that are also compatible with 720p, 1080i, 1080p or ATSC.
The biggest advantage of this aerial lies in the fact that it is eligible to receive the signal from a transmitting tower that's positioned as far as 80 km (50 miles), so you won't experience any issues with your remote location. Additionally, its 3.5 metres coaxial cable makes it easy to install the ultra-thin, flexible antenna near the best tv reception area, including a flat or curved area, walls or window glasses.
- The installation process with this aerial is very simple since all you have to do is unwrap it, plug it to the TV and search for the channels.
- It's very budget-friendly and a really good value for money.
- Due to its simple design, the aerial is easy to adjust for optimal reception.
- The device is essentially made of plastic, so it might be prone to damage and/or malfunction over time.
- If you live in a rather crowded area, you might experience that most channels come in standard digital quality as opposed to HD.
With the ever-growing numbers of digital platforms that provide entertaining channels for all members of the family, there is also an increasing level of doubts within costumers regarding the functionality and reliability of their aerials. If you are among those people and are struggling with finding a tv antenna that provides a good picture and sound quality, can withstand all sorts of weather conditions, is easy to install and can be there for you in a long run - you can read the below guide to find the most essential features to look for that can provide those features.
Indoor VS Outdoor
In case you've been product surfing for an aerial, you might have noticed that there's often a distinction made between an aerial that's suitable for indoor and/or outdoor spaces. What does that mean? The differentiation between such tv antennas relies upon the distance suitability they employ.
Indoor aerials can normally receive the signal from transmitting towers that are as far as 25 km (15 miles). These devices are easier to install and usually don't require mounting. On the other hand, an aerial that's constructed for outdoor areas can obtain signals for distances as far as 50 km (30 miles). These products can either be mounted on walls, windows, railings, roofs or fences or they can simply be screwed into another preferred (suitable) positions depending on the receiving end of the transmitting tower.
Other alternatives like loft aerials or indoor/outdoor include the more modernised versions of tv antennas and are your best choice if you aim for versatility and reliability in the long term.
With these devices, you can try different positions until you find the best fit, without having to worry about wasting money on the wrong choice. These aerials can also be positioned within lofts or attics while preserving your house decor and not using up a lot of space.
Amplifying and LTE filtering
If you live in a region that's heavily crowded by other houses, hotels, shops or internet towers, you are more prone to experience interference with your tv signal, since they use the same bandwidth as your TV provider. These problems usually cause a decrease in the picture or sound quality, missing channels, flickering programmes or external noise in the form of buzzing alongside your favourite channels.
In this case, you might need an amplifier to block the signal from these devices. A lot of contemporary aerials have a built-in amplifier that combats interference, but you can also purchase one as an additional accessory to your existing aerial. These products are usually profitable (and sometimes required) in areas where the main tower is more than 5 km (3 miles) away, so if you live within this distance and your aerial doesn't yield ideal results - you might consider changing the device.
Additionally, a comparable interference can also be caused by mobile phones, wireless devices or similar electronic devices within the household. Luckily, most present aerials have integrated LTE filtering that operates similarly to an amplifier - that is by blocking the signals that are emitted from these devices. You should always choose aerials that are focused on filtering 3G, 4G and now even 5G signals, due to the daily technological improvements to date.
Gain and Directivity
The aerial gain or directivity refers to the sensitivity of an antenna towards a specific direction. The higher the gain of an aerial, the more it can pick up signals from different locations. This gain is operationalized in a measure called decibel (dB). According to aerial companies, this ratio that's measured with dB varies alongside the comparability, so a 10 dB value could be the same as a 12 dB, depending on the antenna gain they're compared to. Luckily for us, most manufacturers specify products within low, medium or high gain variables.
A general rule of thumb is to compare your environmental factors with the requirements you have. If you live in a region where interference is customary or you're further away from the transmitting tower, then you should get a high gain aerial that can pick up signals in fringed areas. Although, you should have in mind that these high gain aerials also require more adjustment to properly detect channels, so don't get frustrated when you don't acquire your +100 Freeway channels in your first try.
Q: Which TV aerial is best for Freeview?
A:The best aerial for Freeview is the DVB66 Portable model by Chaowei, due to its compact design, easy assembly and installation, as well as overall functionality in providing sustainable, good quality Freeview channels.
Q: Do I need a special aerial for Freeview HD?
A: Generally, most modernised aerials are manufactured with components that support HD quality pictures, whether they're provided by Freeview or other platforms. But if you want to be sure, you should look for a high-performance DVB-T2 model that is specifically optimized for HD reception.
Q: What is the best aerial for digital TV?
A: The best aerial for digital TV in 2020, including Freeview - remains the DVB66 Portable aerial by Chaowei.