10 Best Mig Welder Reviews UK 2021 - Top Rated Models Compared
MIG welding provides a much higher rate of productivity, is super easy to learn, maneuver and is less messy too. It’s the go to tool for any metal restoration project.
If your buying one for the first time, or want to upgrade, check out our best MIG welder review. We highlight excellent tools with specifications that will meet most restoration enthusiasts’ needs.
Table of Contents
Best MIG Welders On The Market Reviewed In 2021
The best mig welder is the Mig Welder With 180A 240V Portable Inverter By R-Tech. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
The welder portable inverter torch with a warranty is our top pick on this top 10 ranking. If you are ever confused as to which is better between inverter welder vs MIG(metal inert gas), then you need to try this portable MIG welder. It not only comes at an affordable price but even comes with all the necessary attachments needed to use it safely.
This is one of the most affordable and comprehensive portable welders on the market today. With an input voltage range of between 220V and 240V as well as an amperage range of between 20A and 15A, this is certainly the machine to go for if you want value for your money. You will love its lightweight design which enhances mobility and manoeuvring.
Also, the good fabrication of this inverter welder is a plus and that is why it is one of the most sought-after products in the market right now. Just a few of the best MIG welder under £300 provides for the 3-year comprehensive warranty plan that this welder provides for. A separate steel wire can be bought together with the unit. All these things make this unit definitely live up to its name and you get what you pay for.
- The build of this MIG welder is not just quality but makes it easy to use
- Excellent price to value ratio.
- It also has a high performing output and a manual guide for easy understanding of all wire speed and power settings
- The 3-year comprehensive warranty to make it a very safe 'must buy' for many people.
- Can be bought together with a great steel welding wire.
- Can run on a maximum of 180 amps output at an industrial 35% duty cycle, 160 amps output on 13 amps plug
- Includes 3M MIG torch, Gas hose & gas regulator, Earth lead & Manual
- It gets complicated enough for someone to use for different welds.
Second best unit is the 160 Amp Portable Welding Machine By Parkerbrand. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
The model is an innovative type of arc welder with a great host of advantages. The device is useful for a typical household needs, and a great choice from the perspectives of durability, performance and control. It works by first rectifying the utility AC power to DC. It will then invert the DC power into a step-down transformer, producing the desired welding voltage.
The Parker brand 160 Amp Inverter is a top-quality machine powered from a single phase 230v 16amp plug. It can run on a variable amperage of 30 to maximum of 200 Amps. The tool also comes with a regulated DC Power Output that provides control. This arc machine comes with everything you need - an electrode holder, a lead of 1.8 m, an earth clamp of 1.6 m, and a wire brush included.
You will love its plastic package which helps to provide convenient storage as well as excellent safety. It has a high-frequency and is efficient with excellent control of variable functional parameters when you compare it to other models. This arc welder machine comes with anti stick and thermal overload protection in the cooling unit. The fan on the back safeguards the unit from damage.
It has a package dimension of 47*4.8*6.4 cm and a weight of 10 kilograms making it perfect for easy manoeuvring. You don’t need to worry about too much space for storage as it is compactly designed. The manufacturer provides a 1 year warranty for the machine making it possible for you to buy with the confidence that your money will not be lost. However, it has a few flaws.
- The machine is powerful, quiet, and effective which means it is just the one you need to get.
- Great price to value ratio means it's a great deal.
- This arc welder machine is small, compact, and portable and very light to move around.
- The device consumes less energy and can operate in standard house power settings.
- Has a range of different power settings and a steel wire speed control to work with.
- Included in the package are a good electrode holder, a lead of 1.8 m, an earth clamp of 1.6 m, and a stainless steel wire brush.
- The power output adjuster is linked to a digital display so fine adjustments are easy.
- A duty cycle of 30% is low.
- The power machine has short cables and may need an extension cable for easy navigation.
Third best welder is the Thermal Overload Protection Welder By Wolf Professional. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. You can check the available price range on the links below.
Whether you are a professional welder or need an industrial welding machine for your home projects, the Wolf Professional model is worth your money. This tool is powerful and flexible. It will serve you for a long time, providing you with value for your money.
This welding machine has a smooth 200 DC and arc welder. It incorporates modern, robust electronic circuitry, providing a high-powered performance and reliability. It has a power consumption of 4.5 kW and that is why it is capable of welding through steel with thickness of three to four mm with ease.
The Wolf Professional arc welder machine comes with an input voltage of 32 V 50 H. The welders can run on a minimum of 30 amps to a 200 amps welding current range and cannot work from a 13-amp supply. It comes with welding rode diameter of 2 mm-5 mm. With an IP rating of 21S, you can be sure of maximum shelter against excessive moisture and dust.
Besides, this arc welder machine has a class “H” of insulation and features thermal overload protection. The package contains arc welding leads, electrode holder, earthing clamp, and TIG(tungsten inert gas) torch kit. The torch will efficiently take care of car parts, steel, stainless steel, nickel alloys, copper alloys, cobalt, and titanium.
The electric holder enables you to hold the electrode from any convenient position. Also, there is a duty cycle rate of 60% enabling you to weld incessantly for 6 minutes straight. The good machine comes with a net weight of 8.1 kg and has an IP rating of 21s, making it possible for you to achieve the most satisfactory result.
- The kind of arc welding machine is easy to maintain.
- The arc welding device is easy to start and use.
- The product is also lightweight and portable, which means it is comfortable to move around to your working station.
- The torch is capable of welding steel car parts, nickel alloys, copper alloys, cobalt, titanium, and stainless steel.
- Boasts an affordable price, ease of use and a lot of wire speed settings to choose from.
- No load output voltage 56v, and it comes with a clamp and leads.
- The TIG(tungsten inert gas) for this product is not fit for welding specific aluminium.
- It cannot work from the regular 13 amp power settings supply.
Fourth best unit on our list is the Heavy-Duty Transformer Welder By Sealey. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the available options and price range on the links below.
Sealey is a brand that you can trust when it comes to mig welders, and this is why another of this brand's product makes it our 4th pick. This gasless MIG welder is a high-quality one with excellent fabrication style, great internal cooling system and a manual guide. This manual guide answers questions like 'what is a MIG welder?' and 'what is metal inert gas welding used for?' This perhaps is what will make it the best no gas welder
With a 30% hassle-free duty cycle and steel wire speed control ranging from 55 to 500 IPM, this is an ideal power machine to get if you want optimum performance. It works with a 230 voltage power and you will love its great wire drive motor.
This wire drive motor doesn't just work effectively but has been designed in a simple way that beginners can understand. The internal cooling system of this MIG welder is also very top notch leaving people with so much to desire this no gas metal welder.
- Highly durable and reliable metal welder with a variety of power settings which make it the right one for you.
- The wire drive motor works great
- Quality thermal overload protection.
- Heavy duty high output transformer.
- 30% hassle-free duty cycle
- This is a great unit. However, the voltage is not displayed at all times which means affected work
Fifth best machine on our list is the Auto Hot Start Welder With Inverter By Röhr. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
High performance is the major characteristics of this no gas arc welder and its brand as well. There has been much innovation that has been put into the welder that makes it one of the best welders out there. This arc welder works just like a gas welder and with a great price to quality ratio, it is a cheap welder.
This arc welding machine can run through a 5-position voltage control selector with input voltage ranging from 110 volts to 120 volts. It has a 1-phase input phase and comes with everything you need, like vital accessories that will make your work easier. It has a stainless steel wire brush included.
The thermal overload protection included by the maker of this inverter welder is not just of quality but is also very much needed. This has not only to stand this inverter welder out from others in the market but has also contributed to its increased purchase.
- Auto Hot Start Welder comes with a good fabrication which means it is navigable without any problems
- Thermal insurance is top notch providing for internal cooling
- This arc welding model comes all comprehensive with accessories like a full face welding mask and clipping hammer
- This model features great price to value ratio and many wire speed settings.
- The Auto Hot Start Welder has a wire brush included.
- It has a stainless steel wire brush included.
- Superior power settings
- The fact that it comes without a manual guide might make it difficult for beginners to use.
Our sixth pick is the Professional No-Gas MIG Welder By Sealey. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the available options and price range on the links below.
The Professional No Gas Welder is our 6th pick on this top 10 best MIG welding machines of ours. As a no gas professional MIG welder, this metal welder comes at a very affordable price and is made from top quality materials. Are you looking for a welding machine for sale that you can trust? Then this metal welder is what you need to carry out your professional task.
These welders use a 10-ft work cable and a clamp so that you can get your jobs done with ease. Weighing just around 68 pounds, you won’t have issues manoeuvring this machine. It has a wire feed speed of about 50 – 720 IPM while its durability cannot be disputed.
The Turbo fan in this no gas welding machine is an innovative feature that stands it out from other DIY metal welders. This feature helps to provide for an internal cooling system that doesn't let the machine to overheat.
- Very easy to use this metal welder without gas
- A turbo fan gives durability and different power settings
- These products have innovative features to ensure the security of use.
- Budget friendly price, wire speed control and power settings make this unit the right one for you.
- These products have a twin gauged gas regulator and a Mb25 EURO torch included.
- The wire feed system of this no gas model is a bit complicated.
Our seventh pick is the Professional No-Gas Welding Machine By Sealey. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Feel free to view the range of available options and price on the links below.
The best partner for any welder is an efficient and reliable welding machine. The Sealey MIGHTYMIG100 is the perfect choice for your workshop projects or home use. It will offer you a smooth experience while ensuring the work is done to perfection. The welding tool is a whole package of great features and a good choice for a moderate budget.
This machine includes a power input of 230 V-1 ph with a welding current of 55-100 A. Also, it comes with an AC power source and an absorption power of 3 kW. It has a heavy-duty high output transformer and a duty cycle of 60% @ 55 Amps and 20% @ 90 Amps. You will love its forced-air cooling system which helps in increasing the duty cycle performance.
The system works by directing air over the transformer which slows the heating process. The manufacturer supplies the machine with a comfort grip, a non-live torch, 1.8 meters earth cable, and a 1 mm gas hose. It also has 0. 45kg flux core wire and 1mm contact tip with various wire speed settings. The device is set up in no gas mode.
Weighing around 14.5 kilograms and measuring 32.6 x 52.2 x 38 cm, it’s an ideal power machine that guarantees optimum manoeuvrability. Its wire capacity is 0.9 kg and comes with a contoured handle for comfort as well as effortless control of the device. It has heatproof cables for added durability and that is why it is a very popular power machine on the market.
What’s more, these power machines use a compact medium-sized case for convenient storage. It is made of metal and the manufacturer includes a warranty which offers reassurance as you purchase the power machine. However, it does have some flaws - the machine blows holes in anything under 2 mm of thickness.
- You can set, control, and use this great device without any trouble.
- Has a wide range wire speed and power settings to work with.
- The good machine is lightweight, compact and portable compared to other models. It is easy to move it around if you need to.
- It is durable, and comes with everything you need, like a non-live torch and a flux cored wire.
- Has a budget friendly price and a wide range of settings to choose from.
- Forced-air cooling system which helps in increasing the duty cycle performance.
- Twin gauged gas regulator.
- By many reviews, the machine blows holes in anything under 2 mm of thickness.
- You cannot use it with gas.
Eighth best unit is the Multi-Process Welder By Gys. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
There has been a long debate between inverter welder and MIG. This has been along the line of ‘which is the best welder for home use?’ moreover, ‘which is the best welding kit for beginners?’ The GYS EASYMIG process inverter provides a qualitative answer to both. Working well as a hobby metal welder, you could use it in home with no problem at all.
Due to its simple make, it is said to be in the best welding kits for beginners. It has the capacity of handling materials with 3/16 inches of thickness with an auto spool gun (mig gun) detect. It can even weld 24 gauges at a time, making it perfect for your welding tasks. Two options - gas or no gas. The no gas option requires flux cored wire.
This particular GYS welding kit combines the features of the more expensive metal welders with that of the inverter welder to provide a blend of both. This will make this welding machine a more versatile one than others and still coming as a cheap metal welder.
- Manufactured with high-quality materials that make it durable
- Very easy to use and maintain welder
- A comprehensive warranty plan is included.
- Has many wire speed settings to choose from.
- Has automatic spool gun detect.
- Uses flux cored wires
- Gets messed up at times when burning through some material types, so you need to be careful.
- Not fit for aluminium, but you can weld it if you choose 100% argon shielding gas
Our ninth pick is the Welder with Binzel Euro Torch By Sealey. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Feel free to check the available options and price range on the links below.
Professional tasks demand professional tools to carry out the task effectively. This is why we have included the Sealey Euro Torch professional welder in this ranking of ours. Made by a reputable brand that is known for quality welders ranging from mini welders home welder up to the best welder for cars.
This professional euro torch welder is made from quality materials and has thermal safety. The duty cycle of this welder is about 20% on 90A and 40% on 180A. It weighs around 50 pounds with a wire speed that can go as fast as 360 IPM. You will love the clean finish of this machine and it delivers according to specifications.
Coming in an innovative design, this welder is designed with a well suited grip. This ergonomic grip means it is very easy to handle this welder comfortable. The great build which includes a firm hand grip is a plus and that is why it is the best welder for beginners. You can buy quality steel wire along with the unit. However, it does have some flaws.
- Comes with a two year comprehensive warranty plan
- A well designed and comfortable grip
- A very versatile welder that is both for home use and outdoors use if you need to.
- Binzel Euro Torch feature is easy to use.
- Has various power and wire speed settings to choose from.
- A steel wire can be bought together with the unit.
- Reviews found this unit not the best for active welding materials. It isn't the right one if you want to deal with those materials.
Tenth place goes to the 140Amp MIG Welder By Sealey. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Coming 10th on this list of ours is yet another power machine of Sealey. This time it is one of the best - the Sealey 140 amp metal inert gas welder. This is popularly referred to as the beginner welder because of its simple style meant to make the welding process easy. This good machine comes in various colours and sizes, and it is as good in performance as it is in size.
When you put together the really good price, quality and portability, this is the best welder for beginners that they will find easy to use. It works at a voltage of 115V with an amperage output of about 25 to 140V. It has the capacity of welding ¼ inch of mild steel while its durability cannot be disputed.
This great machine has been designed to be super healthy because of the quality materials it was designed with. The comprehensiveness of this welder is not just a standout feature but it even is what has helped to improve its price to quality ratio.
- Super active welder that you can use for a wide range of most onerous task
- Has a manual guide and instruction manual included on purchase
- Comes all compact and comprehensive with a wide range of attachments needed for welding
- Has a good price for any welding need.
- Easy to use and has a wide range of settings to choose from.
- This is the right unit for you if you want a versatile, portable machine with wheels on the back.
- Includes Spool of wire, contact Tips 0.6 and 0.8mm.
- Customer reviews said that after a long while of use, this welder many times begin to overheat.
- Not fit for aluminium, but you can weld it if you choose 100% argon shielding gas
Best MIG Welders Recap
- 1. Mig Welder With 180A 240V Portable Inverter By R-Tech
- 2. 160 Amp Portable Welding Machine By Parkerbrand
- 3. Thermal Overload Protection Welder By Wolf Professional
- 4. Heavy-Duty Transformer Welder By Sealey
- 5. Auto Hot Start Welder With Inverter By Röhr
- 6. Professional No-Gas MIG Welder By Sealey
- 7. Professional No-Gas Welding Machine By Sealey
- 8. Multi-Process Inverter Welder By Gys
- 9. MIG Welder with Binzel Euro Torch By Sealey
- 10. 140Amp MIG Welder By Sealey
MIG Welders Buying Guide
You also need to add a welding machine to your collection of tools. Whether your most significant DIY is fitting carpet underlay or you are more experienced in using tools, a MIG welder can never disappoint. However, it will depend on the brand you purchase. We will guide you through picking the best model of MIG welder.
What You Need To Know
A MIG(metal inert gas) welder can be desired for use in the home to carry out basic DIY projects or to carry out basic professional tasks outside the home. In the home, you can use it for making picture frames, clothes rack and other tools in the home.
Whichever purpose it is that you want to get a MIG welder, there are certain features to take into consideration when purchasing to be sure you get the best welder that will serve you for a long while. In this guide, we shall be examining some of these basic features in other of its importance. It is essential that you as a buyer pays attention to this guide as much as you do to the review of the best 10 welders.
The Place Where It Is To Be Used
When purchasing a metal inert gas welder, the first and the most important consideration is where you will be using the MIG welder. This will help go a long way in helping you pick the best MIG welder for you. MIG welders differ in that some come best for home use while others for professional tasks.
Knowing where the MIG welder will help you know the features to look out for that will make its usage very safe and comfortable. To have your MIG welder work effectively, you have to go for one with an option that suits the location.
The Weld Type
After the location where the MIG welder is needed has been established, then you will also have to consider the type of weld that is needed for the task ahead. The type of weld that you will be doing there will help in determining the output, material and power supply that will be needed to power the welder effectively.
Generally speaking, when you go for a welder that has a material of very high thickness, you will need to know that such material type will require more power for it to function effectively. Also, the higher the voltage, the more power will be needed to keep it functional.
The Finish of the Welder
When you want the right and best MIG welder, one of the significant things to consider is the safety and security that comes with making use of the welder. The practicability of using the MIG welder is also very important because it helps you in knowing the sort of finish to expect from its usage.
A clean finish allows for your job be it at home or otherwise look more professional. The Pulse MIG welder is known to have a good finish and drastically reduces the risk of metals getting burnt. Other welders in the market are considered to have a clean finish.
The Thermal Protection of the Welder
Over-heating of the welder can not only damage the tool but can also result in unprecedented accidents. Over-heating of a welder often happens when the project that is being worked is one that requires much time for it to cool.
In other to avoid unnecessary overheating of the metal welder, it is essential that you consider the thermal protection included for the tool you are getting. MIG welders with UV thermal insurance provides for an internal cooling system that doesn't let the tool to overheat even when used for a long time.
The Time Duration or Duty Cycle
The duty cycle in every MIG welder lets you know how long the tool can run per time. This is an essential feature to consider when purchasing. After knowing what purpose and where you will be using the welder, you need to look at its duty cycle.
Make sure the duty cycle and the task to be carried out with the welder are reasonable. The more expensive a welder is, the higher its duty cycle. The less expensive welders usually have a short duty cycle and are not suitable for welding materials with higher thickness.
The Cost of Maintenance
Regular maintenance of the MIG welder helps to keep it functional at all times. From regular maintenance, you will be able to spot any irregularity with the tool in terms of defects. This makes it very easy for you to rectify the same and restore your welder to the perfect working condition.
Considering the role maintenance play in ensuring the effectiveness of this welder, it is essential that you go for a welder with a straightforward and low maintenance plan. This way, you would not have to spend a lot of cost and time maintaining the welder. The MIG welders with simple design are easier to maintain than those with a more elaborate design.
The Warranty Plan Provided For the MIG Welder
Generally speaking, a product that comes with a comprehensive warranty plan puts the buyer in a safe place. When in search for machines, especially a MIG welder like this, it is essential that you consider the warranty plan that is being included. When doing this, it is necessary that you also take note of how comprehensive the warranty plan is to be sure it is valid.
Most of the warranty plans for metal welders cover the performance of the machine or any other defects that the manufacturer is liable for. So when your device at any point in time stops working, if it is still within the time, you can enjoy the warranty.
What Are The Different Features?
Reading through several MIG welder reviews, we have discovered that there are certain features buyers find handy when getting a MIG welder. While it is not possible for us to reproduce all of these features here in this review, we shall be examining some of these features quickly.
The Ease of Finding the Spare Parts
When you want to get the best welder it is possible that you have a minimal budget and as such, you are not able to get one with the right features that you desire. It is also possible that you missed out on one with a comprehensive warranty plan. You can make up for all of these by considering every part when purchasing.
Customers all over who have not been able to buy the best welder in terms of features, find those with replaceable parts handy made within the UK. When you buy a welder whose parts cannot be found within the UK, finding them might be tough.
The Short-Circuiting Protection Provided For
It is evident that users of MIG welders take safety both of the machine and themselves very seriously. This is why they always find handy any feature that provides for or secures their use of the machine. One of these protective features that people find handy in a MIG welder is the short-circuiting protection.
With this, your work is not going to be affected even when a short circuit issue occurs. If you are lucky to get a welder from a reputable brand, you will be secured with this. This is because a number of these reputable companies make sure to prioritize safety.
The Size and portability of the MIG welder
For a user who goes for the best home welder, he find the size a handy feature. Even though it is not always possible to get a tiny home welder, users always still prefer those with a very reasonable size. For users who prefer the welder that can be used for professional purposes, they always find portability handy.
With a portable MIG welder, moving it from one place to another is not just important, but also very easy to effect. All in all, a portable and very comprehensive welder is always more desired by users than the many other types of MIG welder for sale.
MIG Welders Buying FAQs
Q: Which is a better purchase between a gas MIG welder and a gasless welder
A: Both MIG welders can be a good purchase and a wrong purchase as well if purchased wrongly. You have to know what you need a MIG welder for before deciding whether to go for a gas welder or a gasless one.
Q: Are the top quality MIG welders always the expensive ones
A: No, price and quality are two different things entirely. It is possible for you to find the best budget welder UK that has all the features that you are looking for.
Q: Is gasless MIG welding any good?
A: Gasless welding is good depending on the machine and technique used for the purpose. It provides good penetration and offers great strength.
Q: Can I MIG weld aluminum?
A: You can weld aluminum using a specialized pulsed MIG or AC TIG(tungsten inert gas) welding equipment. You need to choose the right gas, preferably 100% argon shielding gas because aluminum is a non-ferrous metal.
Q: Can I weld cast iron with a MIG welder?
A: You can weld cast iron with a MIG welder without much difficulty although the resulting joint won't be strong as those from other accepted methods.
Q: Can I MIG weld without gas?
A: You can weld without gas especially in windy conditions. No-gas MIG welder uses flux core wire to weld dirty metals.
Q: How long does MIG welding gas last?
A: MIG welding gas lasts between two and four days depending on your flow and the holding capacity of the gas carrier.
Q: Is MIG stronger than TIG?
A: It is not stronger than TIG, rather the reverse is the case. TIG welding is capable of producing cleaner and more precise welds compared to MIG welding.
Q: Is MIG welding hard?
A: This type of welding is not hard as it seems. It is an easy process to learn as most people become competent MIG welders by following basic advice.
Q: Can you MIG weld with pure argon?
A: You can weld with pure argon but there are high chances that you get an unattractive, tall and narrow weld bead often with a weld-weakening undercut.
Q: What is the best gas to MIG weld with?
A: The best gas to MIG weld with is probably the inert argon gas. It is the most commonly used gas for MIG welding aluminum and TIG welding as well.
Q: What is the best gasless MIG wire?
A: The best gasless wire is the industrial grade E71T-GS, an ideal general purpose gasless wire for mild steel welding.