Best Manual Coffee Grinder Reviews UK 2021 - Top-Rated Models Compared
If we ask our grandmothers, they'll tell us that a handheld coffee grinder was their biggest nightmare. The strained grip and monotonous work that was required to promote a consistent grind were both tiring and time-consuming. Luckily for us, manual coffee grinders have changed drastically since then, only leaving us the pleasant memory of freshly ground coffee. Even though today's manual grinders are easy to use, finding the right one is not so simple. To help you with that, we have conducted a list showcasing the best manual coffee grinders and a handy buying guide to act as your shopping assistant.
Table of Contents
Best Manual Coffee Grinders On The UK Market Reviewed In 2021
The best manual coffee grinder is a part of the Oliver James collection, manufactured by Henry Charles. The stainless steel hand coffee grinders are very elegant and stylishly designed while being built to last. The integrated grind adjustment technology allows you to choose the coffee coarseness, ranging from fine, medium or thick. The diverse grind settings will provide with a variety of coffee types including Turkish coffee, espresso, French press, drip coffee, Moka pot or even cold brew. Depending on your choice of grind size, you should simply turn the best coffee grinder clockwise for a fine texture, or anti-clockwise for a more coarse feel.
To ensure a top-quality experience with extended use, the portable hand grinders come with a travel bag that perfectly fits in backpacks, suitcases, rucksacks or briefcases. You can rest assured that the portable coffee grinder will be practical on all occasions, due to its lack of cords, batteries or cables. To promote a high-performance and consistent grind with every turn of the mini-mill, Henry Charles has used professional-grade ceramic burrs that employ hard-wearing qualities. To support their confidence with the best hand grinder, the manufacturers have advanced a 100% satisfaction guarantee that if not provided - will be refunded fully within 60 days of purchase.
- All its parts are detachable, promoting a better cleaning experience.
- Good value for money.
- It's very easy to use, including the first assembly.
- Its robust construction makes it reliable in the long run.
- If you're unsure about the maintenance or use, the Henry Charles team will readily assist you by email.
- It produces a high-quality fine grind that eliminates large lumps of coffee beans.
- It's ideal for producing small amounts of ground coffee.
- Some consumers reported that its base is slightly loose and needs some care to be fitted appropriately.
- It doesn't have any marks or indicators to help with adjusting the grind setting.
- It doesn't come with a coffee grinders manual.
Another fantastic manual grinder coffee machine is provided to us by MLMLANT while taking a top-notch approach at producing high-quality ground coffee for all your preferences. Its compact-sized composition ensures that you can get the hand coffee grinder anywhere with you. To promote a better travelling experience, the coffee mill is equipped with a high-grade cleaning brush and specially designed travel bag. By eliminating power consumption levels that usually come with electric grinders, you will not only promote an energy-efficient grind but help the environment too. By being one of the best manual coffee grinders on the market, it is implicit that durability and sustainability are prioritised within each particle.
The easy to use hand grinder is superbly built with high-quality, eco-friendly, water-resistant, and rust-free stainless steel. Its ceramic burr components secure the hand grinder not to get overheated while grinding while being able to sustain the fresh flavour of coffee beans.
Moreover, its built-in grind settings support a more productive grind adjustment that's maintained through its 18-click controls. Thanks to its yielded grind control, you will be able to make a good french press, percolator, Chemex, cold brew, Turkish coffee, espresso or Keurig k cups. And if you want to get rid of your useless electric grinder, you can even use the coffee mill as a personal herb or spice grind as well.
- Its stainless-steel components will stay firmly put, thus minimising the risk of coffee bean spilling.
- Its flat ceramic burr is easily removable and washable.
- It's designed with a transparent window that lets you see the grind size as you operate it.
- It's one of the best hand coffee grinder units that can sustain its durability or years.
- Its included cleaning tools make it easy to be maintained even when travelling.
- Its detachable handle is ideal for using the device as a portable hand grinder.
- It takes some time to grind the coffee beans to a fine grind.
- You need to employ a firm grip to stop the top & bottom parts from moving.
Maison & White have devised an innovative range of hand grinders by applying a creative design that you can not find on regular hand coffee grinders. You'll also be pleased to know that the high-quality coffee mill is one of Amazon's best-sellers in the manual grinders department, further supporting its top-notch reviews obtained. This range of ceramic burr grinders supports a meticulous cutting performance, grinding the coffee beans to absolute perfection. The compact design of the Maison & White hand grinders make its storage exceptionally comfortable, granting you to place the device just about anywhere.
On the other hand, its ergonomic handle is paired with a non-slip silicone base, not only promoting a more comfortable use but preventing any potential hazards as well. To satisfy all tastes, the manufacturers have included a flexible mechanism that supports a final grind adjustment of the coffee bean. The integrated grind setting can adjust the coarseness of the coffee in three major conditions. Specifically, the fine-textured coffee is perfect for cone filters, the medium-coarse one is ideal for flat filters, and the coarse-textured one is suitable for french presses or other hot beverages. The simple construction of the Maison & White hand grinders makes it incredibly easy to be dismantled and cleaned, promoting a never seen before efficiency for all its components.
- It comes with a two-year warranty by Maison & White.
- It's the best grinder coffee machine that's budget-friendly.
- It contains an adjustable lid that can be used for storing the coffee beans before proceeding to grind them.
- It supports a grind size for most hot beverages.
- It is incredibly lightweight, easing up the manoeuvrability.
- It can also be used for grinding nuts or seeds.
- Its plastic components may be prone to damage.
- It supports a grinding rate of just 50 grams at once, prolonging the process by a fault.
For those of you who want to find a coffee mill that is on the heavier side, the B.PRIME hand grinder signifies the best choice. The stainless steel electric grinder takes pride in its exquisite spin-speed, employing a grinding rate of 24000 RPM. You'll be pleased to know that thanks to its monster strength, you'll have your coffee within 8-15 seconds. With a maximum capacity of 70 grams, the flexible coffee mill is assuredly one of the best electric grinders on the market. Moreover, you can make the coffee mill function as a multi-purpose device, using it as a grain mill grinder, a nut grinder, a pepper grinder, a salt grinder or an all-purpose spice grinder for all your kitchen needs.
The manufactured food-grade stainless steel burrs don't only promote excellent grind settings but help sustain the original flavour of the coffee beans used to make the drink too. Furthermore, the transparent exterior lid gives you the freedom to focus on the grinding process. At the same time, the lid-activated safety switch prompts you to control the thickness of the powder according to your preference. According to the manufacturers, its stainless steel burrs support a grinding bowl of enormous capacity, supporting 4 to 12 cups of coffee on the go. To help with this, the removable bowl contains a measuring line that will give you a precise count of cups generated from the coffee grinder.
- It supports an easy counterclockwise turn to remove the bowl, and a clockwise twist to lock it.
- Its seal ring presses the rim of the bowl tightly during the process.
- Its 105 cm cord can be neatly stored under the base of the grinder.
- It is shipped with a 2 in 1 spoon that serves both as a brush and a spoon.
- Its provided coffee grinder manual is very easy to understand.
- It's twice the size of the usual grinders but supports an average capacity.
- Some customers have noted that it grinds nuts to a paste rather than a powder.
- Its operation is rather loud.
UNIFUN hand grinders are a more than a worthy mention, due to their outstanding design and durable components. Supporting that legacy, this hand coffee grinder is constructed with high-quality stainless steel that is both water-resistant and rust-free. Moreover, its integrated ceramic burr is not only built to last but designed to make high-quality coffee grind a daily experience. Ideal for a quick coffee break, the UNIFUN manual grinder utilises a compact-sized build that can fit just about anywhere. And because it's operated manually, the noise emitted from the coffee beans grinding will not make you want to destroy the device, but rather - marvel away at its comforting sound.
One of the best hallmarks of this line of hand coffee grinders lies in its improved grind adjustment feature gives you more flexibility than ever. In addition to its mini-mill function, the manual coffee grinder can also be used to grind different spices into the desired grinder level. Furthermore, thanks to their fully detachable body and easy assembly, the hand grinders will make you want to wash them as opposed to dreading their maintenance. Bringing the fun into their name, the UNIFUN enterprise has also initiated a 100% satisfaction guarantee cause that will enable you to return the hand coffee grinder if it doesn't fulfil your expectations.
- It supports a full 60-day refund if a 100% satisfaction is not reached.
- It's shipped with a storage bag that's ideal for travelling purposes.
- Its visible window lets you see the coarseness of the coffee beans while they're on the grinder.
- It is very easy to use and clean.
- Good value for money.
- Its coffee container is rather flimsy.
- There isn't a reference number provided to adjust the grinder levels.
If you want a hand grinder that's closer to home, then you may find the portable ceramic burr grinder by TruuMe best-suited for your needs. Moreover, the coffee grinders have also been selected by Amazon as the best manual grinders for its UK customer base, further supporting TruuMe's legacy. The hand coffee grinder is built with high-quality stainless steel materials that are impervious to damage and resistant to liquids. As for its ceramic burr grinders, the manufacturers promote a long endurance and high-quality ongoing grind results.
Because of its compact size, you can also store the manual grinder anywhere you please, without having to worry about clutter. As with the best manual grinders' programmes, this stainless steel hand grinder also supports a wide range of ground coffee, highlighting in fine, medium and coarse conditions. The top-notch hand grinder also supports a fully detachable body composition, which you may find especially profitable on the cleaning department. Besides being one of the best coffee grinders on the market, this device can also be used to create powder spices from a wide range of grindable ingredients - just as long as you can get them into the ceramic burrs' reach!
- It is made from very high-quality and durable materials.
- Its slim figure makes it ideal for portable purposes.
- It emits as little noise as possible, thanks to its ceramic burrs.
- It can quickly provide with 4 cups of coffee on the fine grind mode.
- It is the best bean-grinder on the market.
- Its inner components are coated with plastic, which may be prone to damage.
- Its provided instructions were noted to be very confusing for a lot of costumers.
- It grinds at a slower rate than the standard manual coffee grinders.
Another series of manual coffee grinders are provided to us by the Cooko brand while applying a lightweight and compact-sized construction to match anyone's needs. To help you grind more evenly and prevent the boredom that usually comes with hand grinders, Cooko as designed a stainless steel handle that is not only practical but amazingly effort-saving too. The handle is coated with a separate food-grade silicone cover that tightly locks around the natural heat-resistant glass. One of its most important design characteristics lies in the independent powder compartment that can easily be used as a separate sealed container.
As for its grinding core, you'll be pleased to know that its top-quality ceramic burrs will grind your beans in a broad spectrum of coarseness. The easy to use mechanism only requires a straightforward twist on a counterclockwise position to prompt a coarse texture, while the clockwise turn will get you an exquisite fine blended powder in no time. The steel burrs are also amazingly easy to maintain, by only requiring a smooth wipe with a damp cloth rather than a full-on wash session. Furthermore, because of its food-grade components, the manual grinder will not affect the coffee beans' flavour while promoting a deliciously brewed coffee with each use.
- Its upgraded fixed gaskets support a more even powder.
- It's effortless to clean, as it doesn't require a frequent wash.
- Its non-slip base and grinder make the handling easier and more stable.
- The set comes with two jars and a lid so that you can use it for coffee beans storage too.
- Good value for money.
- Some costumers reported that its assembly was somewhat confusing.
- Its grinder times are somewhat long.
If you want to find a manual grinder that will take you back in time while employing the comfort of modernity, you'll be pleased to know that Zulux has got you covered. The wooden design in this range of manual coffee grinders makes it be one of the most special grinders available, destined to enrich any home it's purchased on. The DIY mill enables you to prepare flavourful coffee with much ease of use and under short times. All you have to do is simply insert the coffee beans onto the grinding compartment, set the desired grind setting and wonder at the brilliant smell of fresh coffee.
The stainless steel grinder promotes a slim design that allows you to get a good grip, while its crank handle is long enough to give you excellent support for a smooth and easy grind. The core of the rotation shaft within this manual grinder is made of top-notch ceramic burrs that produce minimal amounts of heat while the coffee is grinding.
This not only promotes one of the most practical grinding procedures to date but also ensures that the coffee keeps its original taste too. And after you're done with the grinding, you can effortlessly open its adorable bottom drawer and get to working your pour-over, french press or Turkish coffee.
- It employs a unique design that goes with any kitchen.
- It supports grind settings that go from extra coarse to super fine.
- Its grind can be easily adjusted by simply twisting its top adjustment screw.
- Several customers have noted that it is very durable.
- Good value for money.
- Its maintenance and cleaning requirements were reported to be confusing for quite a lot of customers.
- The squared design makes it harder to hold.
Another lovely hand grinder that doesn't offer one - but two compartments, is brought to us by GOURMEO and is one of the better products out there. With GOURMEO's manual hand grinder, you can effortlessly serve up to four cups of freshly ground coffee at once or simply store extra for later. Because of its lightweight build, the 520 gr hand grinder can be your top loyal travelling companion, keeping you caffeinated everywhere you go. Its tiny size shouldn't confuse you, because the hand grinder can also quickly turn all your spices into powders with a minimum effort from your side.
This range of hand grinders is designed with a simple screw at the top, which lets you to manually adjust the level of fineness or coarseness you want from your blend. Thanks to its top-class ceramic burr, the hand grinder is completely rust and corrosion-proof, thus promoting a durability degree that will last for years to come. Besides being practical, versatile and robust, the hand grinder is also very easy to clean and maintain as well. And lastly, by personalising your coffee-drinking experience to a maximum, the GOURMEO manufacturers have invested in a long-term satisfaction guarantee.
- It is one of the best hand grinders that works fantastically with seeds and spices.
- Its extra glass container is great for storing the ground coffee.
- It contains a sturdy rubber ring that prevents the beans from falling off while grinding.
- It comes with a cleaning brush that helps maintain the grinder.
- It was noted that the grinder needs some trial and error to get the right adjustment settings right.
- Some customers reported that the steel pin on the grinder tends to get loose.
If you're accustomed to cylinder-shaped grinders, but you also want to see the coffee being ground at all times, then this cleverly designed product by KitchenCraft is the right choice for you. The silver coating and glass compartment make this manual grinder be one of the best-crafted devices on the market. Furthermore, the gorgeous layout is ideally suited with incredible performance and functionality. This remark was positively agreed-upon from baristas around the world, labelling the hand grinder an absolute must-have.
The KitchenCraft stainless steel grinders employ high-grade ceramic burrs that can be adjusted to suit your taste and brewing style, from a fine blend to a full coarse texture. Because of its food-grade materials, the burrs will only grind the coffee up to the amount you want them to, without tainting the fresh flavour of the coffee. After you're done with the grinder, you can simply collect the remaining grounds on the glass base and keep them chilled until you decide to use them again. And thanks to its smart design and graceful gift box packaging, the coffee grinder can also be purchased as a lovely housewarming gift that'll surely please all its receivers.
- It's shipped with a one-year warranty by KitchenCraft.
- It serves as a wonderful travelling device.
- Good value for money.
- It contains a glass jar and base that are dishwasher-safe.
- Its coarseness levels need to be adjusted after each refill.
- Its build is somewhat flimsy, making it unsuitable for daily use.
Best Manual Coffee Grinders Recap
- 1. The Brilliant Oliver James Manual Coffee Grinder By Henry Charles
- 2. The Splendid Stainless Steel Manual Coffee Grinder By MLMLANT
- 3. The Distinguished Manual Coffee Bean Grinder By Maison & White
- 4. The Marvellous Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder By B.PRIME
- 5. The Astonishing Manual Burr Coffee Grinder By UNIFUN
- 6. The Terrific Manual Portable Burr Coffee Grinder By TruuMe
- 7. The Premium Manual Coffee Grinder By Cooko
- 8. The Vintage Conical Burr Manual Coffee Grinder By Zulux
- 9. The Unique Manual Coffee Grinder By GOURMEO
- 10. The Superb Le'Xpress Adjustable Manual Coffee Grinder By KitchenCraft
Using manual grinders to prepare your beans just before you brew your coffee is undeniably one of the best experiences in life. The top-notch flavour and lovely smell certainly make all the elbow grease worth it, and sometimes even fun! Even though hand grinders employ uncomplicated mechanisms, there are still a lot of things that could simply go wrong. A lousy build, cheap components or an impractical design can take all the fun away and leave you with a lot of head-scratching that could otherwise be prevented. So what exactly makes a manual coffee grinder worth buying?
Because manual coffee grinders don't require a massive framework and complicated components, they're usually compact-sized and very lightweight. This makes them ideal for daily use and travelling purposes, as they can easily fit into bags and taken anywhere. The most frequent design of hand grinders is the cylinder one that employs a round shape through its base.
The circular form makes it easy for the user to grip the grinder firmly and rotate the crank handle that's located on the top of the device. This model is the best fitting for portable use and handheld grinding, but its small shape can only support about one or two cups of coffee at a time (5-20 gr).
Other coffee grinders operate with a more massive build while being operated slightly different than handheld grinders. They need to be neatly positioned on a table or counter, and they carry a larger crank handle that grinds the beans. This model is usually supported by a sturdier base and requires the user to use more force on the operation. The apparent advantage of this range is its grinding capacity. Larger models can grind for up to 100 gr at a time, which is equal to about ten cups of coffee. Even though they make storage more complicated and can take a lot of space, large manual grinders are ideal for those who want to accumulate their ground coffee and have it ready when they need it next.
Steel vs Ceramic Burrs
For those who are accustomed to electrical cooking devices such as blenders or mixers, a stainless steel blade won't be an unknown feature. Similar to other food grinders, a hand-operated coffee grinder can be built of double stainless steel blades that are used to grind the coffee. These blades are usually found in electric grinders, as they need the sturdiness and sharpness that comes with steel to operate their power strength fully. However, it has continuously been observed that steel blades are not ideal for grinding coffee because they perform a cutting operation as opposed to the crushing one that's required for the beans to be ground appropriately. Due to this, the final product obtained from the grinding is not consistent, resulting in bigger and smaller chunks alike.
On the other hand, a grinder that operates with a ceramic core is significantly better suited to coffee grinding. These models usually employ two oscillating ceramic plates that are joined by crushing and grinding the beans, which causes a more consistent powder. By adjusting its internal screws, you can independently choose the grinding size you'd prefer, which will be granted by the ceramic burr's friction. Another advantage to ceramic plates is that they're usually made of food-grade materials, so they don't interfere with the flavour of the beans. This is not only posed as a healthier alternative but is also guaranteed to keep your ground coffee smelling as fresh as possible.
As you may have noticed, one of the most important hallmarks of a coffee maker is its ability to promote variability with grind sizes and textures. While Turkish coffee requires for the beans to be ground to an excellent size, a cold brew demands an extra coarse texture to be brewed properly.
For this reason, you need to aim for a grinder that gives you a more extensive range of choices that include an extra-fine, fine, medium, medium-coarse, or coarse texture.
As we explained back in the burrs section, an adjustable grind within a hand grinder is reached by loosening or tightening the supporting screw - thus promoting different sizes. Other grinders also maintain the adjustment scheme by rotating the grinder's lid clockwise or counterclockwise for their respective textures. Ultimately, all that matters is for the mill to give you more options; and for those options to be easily accessible by you.
It's evident that a handheld grinder will grind the coffee at much slower rates than an electrical one, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to spend hours before the TV giving your arm a strain. The best coffee mills will take about a minute to grind your coffee beans for a single cup. This is usually measured with the coarse setting seeing how it takes the least amount of effort (and time) to be produced; so a fine grind should take about 80 seconds.
To generate optimal results, a grinder must be built from the highest-quality components that not only support its durability but promote a more efficient operation as well. The first and evident hallmark that you should look for is the burr strength and quality. A double burred ceramic core is granted to provide with the best (and quickest) grinding operation - as opposed to a singular burr or stainless steel blade.
Another essential thing to look for is the crank handle. Because you're going to do a lot of spinning, you need to find a device that supports a steady rotation rate. The best crack handles are stainless steel ones since they run smoothly and don't tend to block the turning. If you're unsure if the device you're purchasing contains these characteristics, you can head over to the manufacturer's site and read the product's specifications.
Some coffee grinders employ a double-ended design that is equipped with two compartments rather than one. The main compartment accommodates the grinder, the burr blades and the crank handle.
These grinders are generally manufactured with a glass design, so you can see the coffee-making process as it happens. On the other hand, the second compartment serves a storage purpose and is equipped with a silicone lid to close itself off. Even though it's not an essential feature, it is incredibly useful for those who grind more substantial amounts of coffee.
Not only does it store the coffee securely, but it also serves as a back-up compartment in case the first one is damaged.
Q: Is manual coffee grinder better?
A: The answer to that question highly depends on the coffee brewing practices that you employ. Manual grinders are generally cheaper than electric ones, being one of the more cost-effective solutions to coffee grinding. Because they function with a manual mechanism, they're also more durable and reliable, which is not always the case with electric devices. Manual grinders are also smaller in size and don't require any electricity, cables or cords - making them ideal for travelling purposes. And because they usually use ceramic burrs to grind the beans, they offer a more flavourful coffee that is not always the case with stainless steel burrs. This can also be positive when grinding smaller amounts of beans because it allows you to have a fresh cup of coffee anytime you want one.
However, those are only the pros of a manual grinder. One of the major cons of these devices is the elbow grease that accompanies the grinding. Because they need to be manually operated, they employ significantly longer grinding times - resulting in longer manual work. And even though several manufacturers state the opposite, a manual grinder doesn't have the full variability of grind sizes. Most grinders can promote a fine, medium and coarse texture, but those are not entirely sufficient with brewing methods that require a more refined approach.
Q: Which coffee grinder is the best?
A: The best coffee grinder of 2021 is the manual Oliver James grinder by Henry Charles, due to its incredible variation in flavour and reliable performance in durability.
Q: How long do manual coffee grinders take?
A: On average, manual coffee grinders will be able to fill a full-sized cup in just under a minute. This highly depends on brand types and burr components, but a good manual coffee grinder should be able to create enough ground coffee for 3-4 cups, in about three minutes.
Q: How can I grind coffee without a grinder?
A: If you don't want to spend on either a manual or an electric coffee grinder, then you can try these DIY hacks that have been reported to be successful by a lot of coffee lovers online. The first two do require cookware, but there are also ways in which all you're going to need is one strong arm.
- Blenders - Considering how most households have a blender that they use for pureeing, mixing or, well - blending, this solution is one of the more obvious choices. Because blenders typically use core blades that are similar to grinder burrs, they can be beneficial at grinding your beans. All you have to do is to is toss the beans into the blending compartment and use the most powerful setting. However, you should know that the most potent blending operation is similar to that of a coarse setting in coffee grinders, so you're probably not going to get a very fine texture on your ground beans.
- Mortar and Pestle - One of the more simple solutions (that can also be adapted with your tools of choice) is the mortar and pestle approach. Similarly to the way one crushes garlic, you should take a few beans at a time and add them to the mortar to be minced. By crushing a few beans at a time, you may get 'finer' results both in the overall grinding procedure and the texture of the coffee.
- Hammer Down! - If both the previous methods are unavailable or they simply don't live up to your expectations, you could try doing it old style. Firstly, place the beans into a freezer bag - similarly to how you'd do with meat beating. Place the bag in between two towels or other fabrics to 'soften the blow' and begin by hitting it with a meat-tenderising mallet or a regular hammer. You should also note that this method is one of the more 'natural' approaches, so it probably won't contribute with a consistent grind.