10 Best Loft Ladder Reviews UK 2021 - Top Rated Models Compared
Whether you want to functionalize your unused loft or upgrade the existing stairs to save up some space, you'll be pleased to know that there are plenty of stylish, firm and practical loft ladders for you out there. Generally, the size of your loft hatch, ceiling height, loft access or even floor to ceiling height will be unimportant since there are choices to accommodate all. Keeping that in mind, you should read below to find the best loft ladder for your own home and rejoice the distant memory of crowded, cluttery spaces.
Table of Contents
Best Loft Ladders On The UK Market Reviewed in 2021
The best loft ladder of 2021 is Aurora's Thermo folding timber attic ladder that's highlighted in its value for money, ease of access and sturdiness. Coming at you with three different dimensions, this wooden ladder for loft is made of high-grade timber while being adorned with powder-coated metal components. These Aurora loft ladders wood-coated also feature a novel mechanism that ensures the spring is fastened to the box. This design facilitates the ladder to operate smoothly while guaranteeing a safe and comfortable use for all.
Thanks to the fact that manufacturers deliver all their ladders assembled, you won't face any issues with the installation. Moreover, three-sectioned deluxe wooden loft ladder is also supplied with a handrail and protective feet, so not only is it easy to use but it guarantees maximum safety as well. For further ease of access and security, the ladder is also equipped with a patented and innovative locking technology that will automatically click into place, ensuring that the hatch is properly (and safely) closed.
- Able to fit on storey heights of up to 280 cm (9ft 1'') while supporting a maximum weight of 160 kg.
- Provided with non-slip feet coating, safety handrail and opening rod.
- Three years guarantee period by Aurora.
- Easy to install and setup.
- The door opening slightly protrudes.
- The hatch isn't able to be opened from the inside, so you should beware.
The 2.9 metres (9 ft 5') telescopic ladder by Youngman is among the best ladders for a loft that's frequently accessible and requires a practical stairway. Manufactured in anodised aluminium while containing rubber feet flooring, this series of ladders come with the utmost security measures that ensure supreme protection. Moreover, the certified frustration-free packaging helps you protect the environment while at the same time you're fixing your loft ladder problem.
Adjustable to three different lengths that match all the family's needs, this telescopic loft ladder made specifically to aim for functionality contains extra-wide treads that promote comfort and safety on every step of the way. Additionally, the automatic lock and release technology will help get rid of the hassles that come with traditional loft ladders. And thanks to the fact that no cutting is required, you can easily install and operate this ladder straight out of the box.
- Heavy ladders that make pulling down hard
The 301000 Youngman model is the previous series' predecessor that maintains all it takes to be labelled as one of the best high-quality loft ladders currently on the market. Concurrently adorned with anodised aluminium that guarantees durability through the trials of time, these loft ladders also employ rubber feet coatings that prevent unfortunate accidents like slipping or tripping.
The maximum floor to loft height in these easy to use ladders is 2.6 metres (8'5'') whereas the minimum is 2.17 metres (7 ft), which is perfect for those who are seeking to save some loft space. Considering how the ladder is designed to be able to fit a sharp opening of as little as 0.60 metres (1'9'') x 0.51 metres (1'6''), you'll be amazed to know that the maximum weight capacity it can endure is precisely 150 kg. Tested and certified under EN14975 (EU), the 301000 is, without doubt, one of the best loft ladders presently on the market.
- Features an automatic locking system that's secure and practical.
- Extra-wide treads promote an easier step and safer movement.
- Perfect for saving up loft space or when dealing with a tiny hatch door.
- No cutting required.
- The top bolts from the brackets were noted to be rather loose, which may cause fiddly ladders.
- Since the ladder is rather heavy, customers have had a harder time folding them into the hatch.
Another fantastic aluminium loft ladder comes from Werner while employing a universal stowing pole that's compatible with most (if not all) loft hatch doors. Not only does it promote easier access, but it also highlights correct safety measures that a good ladder requires. Additionally, the easy to use ladders come with an integrated handrail that adds security, while the practical ladder treads are ideal for walking up and down with extra comfort.
Besides containing ergonomic features, the Werner loft ladder also has ideal dimensions that are suitable with most loft sizes. Suitable with floor to ceiling height up to 3 metres (9ft 10'), you can discreetly install this loft ladder in opening widths of as little as 0.38 metres (1'3") and storage spaces of up to 1.12 metres (3'11"). Not convinced yet? Check out the incredible budget-friendly price and order yours right away!
- Good value for money.
- Integrated handrail ensuring easier access and added security.
- The packaging comes with everything required to install the loft ladder.
- The ladder is not very sturdy (which is reflected in the price tag).
In case you prefer your loft ladders wooden and not metal, then the KYL01 series by Keylite is a very honourable mention. Meticulously designed to promote a simple and fast installation, this deluxe wooden loft ladder is a real fan favourite when it comes to devices that are assembled within hours of delivery. Thanks to the pre-installed flick-fit brackets and the unique detachable wooden ladder, you'll be up and running in no time.
Furthermore, the pre-fitted handrail serves a noble purpose at ensuring better access on your ladder, so you don't need to 'crawl up' the stairs as per standard. The white 36 mm thick insulated hatch door, as well as the continuous steel around it, reduces heat loss and promotes energy efficiency on the process. If a floor to ceiling height of 2.8 metres (9 ft 1') is enough for you, then you should consider this deluxe wooden loft ladder as a new extension to your home.
- Sturdy, firm and durable.
- The detachable ladder ensures that the installation is easy and can be done by one person.
- The recessed locking system makes for a safer closing procedure.
- Favourable features like slip-resistant treads, dovetail joints and scratch-resistant protective feet ensure better access and risk-free usage.
- The stowing pole provided to open the loft hatch is rather short.
- The ladder was reported to be stiff upon initial use.
Youngman comes with another utilitarian series of loft ladders that are lightweight but strong, compact-sized but practical and easy to install but durable on the long run. Tested and certified with BS7553 for general use, this loft ladder is ideal for restricted spaces where movement is of the highest importance. However, the simplistic design doesn't take upon feasibility, since the wide and comfortable ladder treads allow for practical climbing at all times.
Embedded with a pivot arm that promotes a smooth and gliding operation, these are among the best loft ladders that allow you to properly walk as straight as possible, without needing to excessively crouch. Safety risks will also be a thing of the past, thanks to the unique shoot bolt fastening that is not only a very helpful safety measure but allows for easier and more practical access too.
- The instruction quality and materials provided make for a really easy ladder installation.
- Lightweight but sturdy at the same time.
- Packaged with the three-section loft ladder, handrails, one pole and one catch for loft.
- Suitable with rough loft hatch openings of 50 cm (19'') x 43 cm (16'').
- The plastic hinges connecting the ladder to the loft hatch tend to break down over time.
- The weight supported is 100 kg.
Another great product by Youngman that was labelled as Amazon's choice for best loft ladders is just what you need if you're looking to make some space on your loft access point. Manufactured by the EN14975 regulations, these loft ladders come certified with functionality, ease of access and protection. The overall floor to ceiling height is from 1.45 metres (4 ft 7') to 2.6 metres (8 ft 5'), which is just enough to make it comfortable for most lofts.
Moreover, the loft ladders are fitted with 10 flat, wide and slip-resistant treads as well as rubber feet that are specifically designed to ensure safe climbing. The special shoot bolt fastening that's a trademark of Youngman's loft ladders further promotes safety and ease of use with every step you take. To make sure the installation is as easy as the use, your loft ladder shipment will include all the fittings required so you won't need to make additional spending.
- Good value for money.
- Compact and lightweight, perfect for restricted loft spaces.
- Sturdy and durable, especially in the long term.
- There is no pivot arm or a hand railing.
- Several consumers reported that they have received their loft ladder damaged.
In case that your loft stows directly above the loft hatch, you could give Alufix's 9-Tread smart product a try. Not only does it encourage better loft access and more ergonomic design, but the aluminium loft ladder is also easy to climb and interesting to look at. Unlike most metallic loft ladders on the market, this product has a uniquely designed carriage that is dual-sprung to support a more convenient use.
With an overall height of 2.8 metres (9 ft 1'), the flexible loft ladder can cover all your leeway and not take up unnecessary space on the process. Moreover, you won't need to worry about carrying several boxes through your loft hatch, since the great 78 mm (3'') deep treads enforce the grip and ensure protection with climbing. Thanks to its 470 mm (18'5'') swing clearance, this loft ladder is perfectly suitable even with extra narrow hallways or lofts.
- The loft ladder is entirely assembled with all its components supplied, so it only takes minutes to fit.
- Supplied with a hook accessory that is fitted onto a brush for easy loft hatch opening and closing.
- A converting kit that turns push up loft does into swing down ones is also supplied.
- Retracting the ladder is rather hard if you're not tall and/or don't use a chair or stool.
- Is initially stiff to operate.
Specifically tailored to match the standard UK joists for easy fitting, this wooden loft ladder is ideal in its entirety - including installation, operation and maintenance. Constructed with a three-sectioned, 12 threads build, the TB Davies wooden ladder takes up the minimum storage space, thanks to the functional folding option. After the ladder is completely folded, the loft hatch ensures the heat stays in due to the white rubber draught excluders.
Furthermore, a loft ladder frame made of the same high-quality spruce material that adorns the entirety of the ladder is also provided, giving the product a nice, sleek finish. As with the best ladders, the EnviroFold also contains a slip-resistant feet coating so that you won't need to feed extra caution while walking the stairs.
- The wooden loft ladder is partially assembled so you won't need to worry about the construction.
- Manufactured while keeping in use 100% renewable energy.
- Constructed utilising a PEFC durability sourced timber.
- The wooden ladders can be varnished or painted.
- Several customers have noted that this product had originally arrived damaged.
- The hinges on the ladders are not very sturdy.
Considering how most online shopping is done on Amazon, its specific product ratings are a very viable option to use when choosing your loft ladders. With that in mind, you'll be pleased to know that Abru's 37000 model was coined Amazon's choice for best loft ladder, due to its manoeuvrability, instruction quality, as well as ideal sturdiness. Extending from three overlapping sections, this compact loft ladder takes as little storage space as possible, bearing ease of access and efficient use in mind.
Suitable for heights up to 3 metres (9 ft10'), this loft ladder is perfectly designed for DIY installation. Everything you need is provided within the packaging, including the fittings, a universal stowing pole to make the loft hatch opening practical, as well as D shaped rungs, that are provided for added comfort and security. Being completely embellished with aluminium, this loft ladder will surely pass the trials of time while preserving its firmness, functionality and style.
- 5-year guarantee against defects in materials and workmanship.
- Contains a load capacity of 150 kg maximum.
- Incredibly easy instructions, all components provided.
- Good value for money.
- The stowing pole provided is somewhat flimsy which causes the loft hatch to retract stiffly.
- Light and narrow steps.
Best Loft Ladders Recap
- 1. The New Generation Thermo Folding Loft Ladder & Insulated Hatch 55 x 110 cm By Aurora
- 2. The Sturdy 301001 Telescopic Loft Ladder Aluminium By Youngman
- 3. The Firm 301000 Telescopic Loft Ladder Aluminium By Youngman
- 4. The Great 3 Section Aluminium Loft Ladder By Werner
- 5. The Fantastic KYL01 Timber Wooden Loft Ladder By Keylite
- 6. The Practical 313340 Easiway Aluminium 3-Section Loft Ladder By Youngman
- 7. The Notable 302340 Spacemaker 2-Section Loft Ladder By Youngman
- 8. The Innovative 9-Tread Concertina Loft Ladders By Alufix
- 9. The Deluxe 1530-005 EnviroFold Wooden Loft Ladder with Hatch By TB Davies
- 10. The Distinguished 37000 3 Section Compact Aluminium Loft Ladder By Abru
A loft ladder is a great choice for saving up space, compartmentalizing the loft area and most importantly - making your life significantly easier. You may have come across several characteristics that you feel are just what you need, but choosing a loft ladder is sometimes risky due to all the things that you need to consider. To help you unravel the most important ones, we have put a little guide together so you can get on to buying right away.
The most important thing to look for when purchasing a loft ladder is the overall dimensions it employs. Typically, such a product is measured in terms of height that stems from the floor to the ceiling, as well as the width and depth of the ladder when retracted or folded. Firstly, you need to measure your wall heights while taking the pivoting height required into account. A typical loft ladder will start at 2.5 metres and reach up to 3 metres.
To properly measure your ladder requirement dimensions, you need to start by measuring the loft hatch and leaving out about 1 metre of leeway starting from the loft floor. In cases where the ladder is folded completely and adjusted inside of the hatch, the general size of the ladder might be larger than your wall size. The hatch is also an enormous part of the process, seeing how you need to consider the space required for movement and ladder retraction. Most manufacturer's take the trouble of thoroughly explaining the overall dimensions and requirements, but you should use a double-checking practice in other websites as well.
Folded, sliding or concertina
Most loft ladders use a built-in mechanism that allows the product to change its position to save up more space and allow for easier movement. The most common loft ladder has a folding mechanism that retracts the ladder and folds it either on its integrated position or inside the hatch. Another type also retracts the ladder, but in a distinguishable vertical position that either stays on the brink of the hatch or a couple of metres below it. On the other hand, a concertina ladder is normally installed on line with the hatch, and to open it, you must use the provided pole that contains a hook.
All three options are great, but they serve slightly different purposes. A folded or sliding loft ladder usually contains two or three sections that are separated within each other, kind of like a Russian doll.
The spring locking catches hold each over the other so they either retract or slide down. They are great for homes in which movement is not very frequent, and they're more budget-friendly. A concertina loft ladder is more aimed at households that don't want an overworked product, move throughout the loft often, and have shorter walls and free space.
Oftentimes, a very overlooked issue occurs when a loft ladder either breaks down or suffers a great deal of damage. Some buyers are quick to purchase a product while not bothering with reading its specifications, with 'weight load' being one of those. Specifically, what manufacturers consider a weight load includes both your body weight and the eventual weight of any loads you plan to carry. A general rule of thumb is to look for a ladder that can take more than 100 kg, with the ideal circling about 130-150 kg.
Q: How do I choose a loft ladder?
A: Choosing a loft ladder must always begin with you contemplating your households' dynamics regarding the loft. If you often go into your loft area and/or if that environment constitutes an actual room, a practical concertina ladder is your best choice. They're more sturdy, better designed, offer more compact-sized options and are easy to retract. If you use your loft for storage or other infrequent purposes, then a sliding or folding ladder should suffice.
Other important things to look for include the size - that includes your loft, ladder area and ladder dimensions; weight load, ladder components (aluminium or wood) and other accessories such as railings, stewing poles, slip-resistant feet, and insulated hatches.
Q: How much does it cost to have a loft ladder fitted?
A: The cost of a loft ladder fitting usually depends on the material lining the loft ladders, the loft design and/or components, as well as the mechanic's agency. On average, a standard two sectioned aluminium (or other metal) loft ladder that only needs to be fitted into an existing loft hatch usually takes about 2-3 hours and costs around £130 in labour and £120 in materials. In case you need to install the ladder along with the hatch, that can take up to a day and cost about £150 in labour and £350 in materials.
On the other hand, a three-sectioned aluminium ladder (with an existing hatch) can cost about £130 in labour while accounting for £150 in materials. As for wooden loft ladders, they are normally fitted within 3 hours and at the expense of £140 in labour and 150£ in materials. Of course, all this information is retracted as an average of most fitting prices around the market, so they may be subject to change.
Q: What is the best pull down attic ladder?
A: The best pull down attic ladder is Aurora's Thermo folding timber attic ladder that's an absolute champion in its value for money, ease of use and access, as well as definite firmness.