Best Espresso Machine Reviews UK 2020 - Top-Rated Models Compared
A home espresso machine is a delight. Forget about standing in line every morning to buy your favourite espresso at a coffee shop. With one of these appliances, you can whip up the best espresso without the wait. In case you're wondering about which model is the best espresso machine for home use, take a peek below.
We've tracked down the top 10 for your convenience. Here they are.
Best Espresso Machines On The UK Market Reviewed In 2020
The best espresso machine is the Top Automatic Espresso Machine by Sage. You can release your inner barista with this home espresso machine. There are so many features to highlight with this model, it's dizzying. It is worth hanging on to see what they are, though, so let's dive straight into the best of the bunch.
The automatic espresso machine makes coffee in three steps - grinding, brewing, and preparing the milk. You can adjust this trio to formulate your favourite ground coffee recipes. As a bonus, you can then save a list of 6 personalized coffees. Once you select one, with a single push, the espresso machine automatically prepares your chosen brew. No more effort required.
You can expect milky miracles with this home espresso machine. Besides preparing moo juice inside a milk frother, there is also a steam wand that regulates the temperature and creates a barista-style foam (that's right, you can now make doodles in your latte at home).
- The product measures 31 x 33 x 40 cm.
- You can save personalized coffee recipes.
- Easy to use.
- The coffee beans are prepared with a burr grinder.
- The espresso machine measures perfect amounts of ground coffee beans.
- It creates a velvety cup of espresso and more.
- A great milk frother.
- Some consumers had issues with hot water not heating to the right temperature.
- There is a learning curve involved to operate this espresso maker.
Espresso machines for home use don't get any more stylish than this. The dark box has a drip tray that can serve two cups at the same time, while the controls and bean container complete the coffee shop look. One of the best features is the capacity of this super-automatic machine. The large water tank holds enough slosh to stop that irritating habit of constantly having to refill the machine. The coffee beans inside the container also contain enough stock for 10 delicious coffees or cappuccinos. Now, that's a lot.
But what about the controls? Don't worry, you don't need a spaceship degree to operate this best espresso machine. The buttons and rotary dial are easy to handle. While we are covering the controls and features, here is what you can expect from one of the best home espresso makers. There are three temperature settings and also three settings for ground coffee. A manual steam wand creates high-quality froth for cappuccinos. The steam wand is also easy to clean.
You can also save your favourite coffee or a shot of espresso recipe. That way, when you're feeling seriously lazy one morning, this best espresso maker will do all the work. Overall, this is a handsome worker that reduces effort on your part while the useful features also earned this model its place among the best espresso machines.
- A beautiful espresso maker with a coffee shop look.
- A large water tank.
- A large ground coffee capacity.
- It creates high-quality cappuccinos.
- There are settings for custom coffee and cappuccinos.
- Professional-looking froth for coffee.
- The brewing process relies on fifteen bars of pressure.
- There is an initial learning curve with this espresso maker but after one or two times, the operation process is really easy.
- It requires a fair amount of time to set up.
If stainless steel is your thing, then this is one of the best espresso machines for you. Not only does this silver beauty look good but you can use a damp cloth to quickly clean the machine. But as gorgeous it is, what can this machine do to make espresso just the way you like it? Rather a lot, actually.
As one of the best espresso machines out there, it can churn out hot water within seconds. It measures the perfect amount of freshly ground beans to make espresso as it is meant to be. Deliciously flavourful and strong. Indeed, the extraction process uses a combination of low and high pressure to get every ounce of taste from the coffee grounds. Once the coffee is delivered, you can add milk if you want. A steam wand and milk frother adjust the texture and temperature of the milk, increasing the barista factor in each shot of espresso.
Other features also make this one of the best espresso machines on the market. There is an auto-purge feature. This nifty perk purges the heating system after each cup of espresso. This ensures that when you make two cups, the second one won't have a weaker taste due to leftover residues compromising the temperature.
- The product measures 32 x 19.5 x 31 cm.
- A very professional flavour extraction process.
- Barista quality milk.
- The heating system undergoes automatic purging after each coffee.
- It uses 9 to 15 bars of pressure.
- The water tank is easy to fill.
- The portafilter reportedly gets stuck every now and again but this is not a common complaint.
- Not suitable to serve a large number of people at once.
There is nothing tastier than making espresso straight from coffee beans. Now anyone can make great espresso like a barista with this machine. Besides looking professional and modern, one of the reasons why this machine is among the best espresso makers is the milk frother. It works with a system that blends milk, air, and steam to produce the elite froth that signals a well-made espresso.
Most of the coffee, water, and milk are processed automatically. You just have to use the simple buttons to tell the espresso maker your deepest caffeine desire of the moment. You know, that perfect shot of coffee with a thick and velvety crema. Even better, the espresso machine can make two cups at once, so you can spoil yourself and a partner at the same time.
Another noteworthy feature is the coffee grinder. The integrated coffee grinder is silent - which is a huge plus point for those who hate talkative machines. It also has 13 settings that can work with either coffee beans or ground coffee. This makes it a very convenient option for those who want to use decaffeinated coffee to make espresso.
- The product measures 23.8 x 43 x 35.1 cm.
- It is easy to use.
- The milk is frothed with a blend of air and steam.
- It makes two cups of coffee at once.
- The grinder has 13 settings.
- There is an auto-shutoff safety feature.
- The espresso machine can deliver hot water.
- The water reservoir has a capacity of 1.8 litres.
- Adjustable temperature settings.
- There is no child lock option.
- No guarantee.
Here is another great pick for anyone attracted to silvery appliances with many benefits. Indeed, this espresso machine is designed to be both functional and beautiful. The modern sleek lines allow it to fit into any room while the surface is easy to wipe clean and maintain. If you're searching for a looker to be the centrepiece of your kitchen, then you can already tick that box. But what perks can you expect from this bean wizard? Let's dive in and explore the best benefits that you will get with this espresso machine.
With this machine, you can use a cup warmer feature to keep your shot of espresso hot for longer. The machine is also capable of making two coffee cups at the same time. You can choose the strength and fullness of the coffee by adjusting the internal bean grinder's seven coarseness levels. True enough, making espresso does not come any fresher than this machine. Finally, you can warm up the milk and use the manual espresso frother and steam wand to create the perfect layer of foam. Go ahead. Use the frothy features to give yourself a proper milk moustache or to create beautiful latte art.
Cleaning sounds like a chore with this espresso machine, right? Wrong. It goes to great lengths to clean itself. While the owner still needs to wipe away the dirt on the surface, this espresso machine does the rest. Here are just some of the things that you can expect during its spring cleaning episodes. There are programs that automatically descales, cleans and rinses the machine's innards. The tray and ground container can also be removed and popped into the dishwasher.
The best features also include the choice to customise your coffee to produce espresso or other types of coffee. The operation is a simple touch-button affair, meaning that you will never be at a loss and instead create delicious brews without a fuss (as it should be). There are also different heat settings to torch your coffee with. That way, you will get the perfect temperature each time for a great espresso.
- The product measures 37.5 x 28.5 x 36 cm.
- A manual espresso milk frother.
- A cup warmer feature.
- The burr grinder has seven coarseness levels.
- The milk is professionally prepared.
- The water reservoir has a capacity of 1.8 litres.
- The machine automatically cleans itself.
- Some parts are dishwasher safe.
- Different heat settings.
- There is an auto-shutoff safety feature.
- Built with quality materials.
- The espresso machine has no guarantee.
- If the milk is prepared first, it tends to go cold. However, this problem can be easily solved by making the shot of coffee first and then frothing the milk.
Are you still on a silvery roll? There here is another one for you. As one of the best espresso makers, there is a lot to look forward to when you make coffee with it. This espresso machine gets full marks for its modern look, mirror finish, and the fact that the surface is easy to clean. The buttons, levers, and other control options are also user-friendly and very intuitive. Needless to say, that is what the top espresso machines should be - easy to use and maintain. Nothing kills the enjoyment of brewing coffee like a dirty and difficult appliance. Another perk is the slim design. This espresso machine can fit into a small kitchen or camper without a fuss.
The coffee-making process also has all the best designs that you might expect by now. As a semi-automatic espresso maker, you have greater control over several of the steps. From tamping the coffee to choosing the right temperatures and settings, you will get just what you ordered. When making espresso, the machine uses high pressure to extract all the flavour from the beans and also to produce a delicious-looking, nut-coloured cream on top of the coffee. The manual espresso steam wand can also be adjusted to froth or steam the milk. Due to this feature, you can create barista-grade coffee, including cappuccinos, macchiatos or caffè lattes, right at home.
Another reason why this is one of the top espresso machines is that you are not chained to your bag of coffee beans. If you like to brew a decent cup of tea now and again, this is the best machine to serve your favourite leaf blend. Some of the best features also include rapid heating (it takes about 30 seconds), a tray that comfortably allows tall latte glasses, programmable dosing buttons for coffee strength, the machine is always on standby and ready to be used, a descaling alarm, removable water container, water level indicator, and 3 filters.
- The product measures 33 x 14.9 x 30.3 cm.
- The machine uses 15 bars of pressure to create the perfect coffee.
- Easy to maintain and use.
- Compact design suitable for small spaces.
- There is an auto-shutoff safety feature.
- It has a water capacity of 1.1 litres.
- There is a manual espresso machine descaling feature.
- The milk frother can be used to prepare milk to create coffee latte art.
- The espresso machine can also brew tea.
- A clear water level indicator.
- Removable drip tray and water container.
- The espresso machine has a two-pin plug and might need an adaptor plug in some UK areas.
- The water tank is not the biggest on the market and heavy coffee drinkers might have to add water on a more regular basis.
If you are looking for espresso machines that create authentic coffee types - and work with coffee pods - then this could be your dream machine. Bring that water jug and coffee bean bag closer. You'll never look at other coffee machines again. But what makes this brew wonder such a hot shot? The best features of this machine might clear things up a bit. Heads up, there are a lot of benefits.
In a nutshell, this espresso machine produces authentic coffee types, including espresso, filter, and pod coffee (Dolce Gusto). Using this machine also cannot be easier. It detects your input, whether it's a pod or beans, then the machine automatically adjusts the water and other brewing options to create the perfect shot of coffee. Most people who love freshly crushed beans or pods also prefer a thick crema on their cup. This espresso machine does not disappoint. It uses high pressure to enrich the crema and there is also has a wonderful steam wand to create the perfect foam for the job.
As far as espresso machines go, this model has several other traits that sets it apart. One of the best is the thermal carafe. With a 1.5 litre capacity, you can keep up to 10 cups of espresso hot. The water container is also easy to remove and refill. Most of the espresso machine runs automatically, which can be very convenient for caffeine worshipers who are very busy. The elevated stand also helps to minimize splashes and spills. Overall, this espresso machine makes life easier. It will serve authentic brews with minimal effort and cleanups.
- The product measures 34.5 x 25 x 37.4 cm.
- It works with coffee pods (Dolce Gusto).
- The machine automatically chooses the appropriate water and brewing conditions for each type of drink.
- It can produce a professional-looking crema layer.
- The water container has a 1.7-litre capacity.
- A large thermal carafe.
- Spill-proof cup stand.
- A high-quality body that can be easily cleaned and hygienically.
- The espresso machine does not offer automatic internal cleaning like other espresso machines.
- There are some manual espresso functions. This is not a major problem but for those who are looking for fully automatic machines, it remains a point to be aware of.
Here is another shot at owning one of the top espresso machines on the market today. But what makes this model so special? Quite a bit, actually. Nearly everything is made of stainless steel. This gives the appliance some serious agency and as a bonus, makes it quick to clean. Just a view wipes with a cloth dampened with a little water and the machine will look as good as new.
The professional factor extends far beyond its modern looks. You can also expect a high level of coffee-making that will produce the perfect brews each time. As one of the top espresso machines, it can make plenty of coffees, including espresso, a shot of cappuccino, filter coffee, bean to cup brews, and even your favourite pod coffee. The frother, especially, produces among the classiest milk-based drinks among espresso machines. Needless to say, this variety makes it a useful addition to the dedicated drinker's kitchen.
But besides turning your kitchen into a barista counter for friends and family (beware, your circle of friends might grow rapidly), you can look forward to even more benefits.
There is the perfect crema layer each time. That's right. If you love a perfect texture, rich foam, and nut-coloured froth, then this could be the espresso dream for you. Not to change the topic but let's talk dirt. The tray is the part that often gets the most grime and splotches. For the user's convenience, the designers created a removable tray that can be popped into the dishwasher for a thorough cleaning. You don't need to scrub it like a maniac. We thank them.
Here are some more perks. Yes, that's right. They just keep coming. Operating this espresso machine is as simple as using a three-button operation. There's no need to scratch one's head over what goes where and how to do what. The controls are intuitive and user-friendly. The filter also pulls its weight to allow you to seamlessly switch between using beans and easy serve espresso (ESE) pods. The machine can also accommodate two cups of espresso or cappuccino at the same time.
There is a built-in tamper, which is great if you don't like extra tools to hammer together your morning coffee. Looking for a cup warmer? You'll get that too. This feature is a wonderful bonus for anyone who hates espresso or any other type of hot drink that cools down too quickly. The latter is usually due to a cold cup stealing the brew's warmth. But not anymore. The cup warmer will ensure that your espresso states hotter for longer.
- The product measures 30 x 24.2 x 30.5 cm.
- The water container has a capacity of 1.4 litres.
- The stainless steel body is hygienic and easy to wipe clean.
- Creates a variety of drinks from beans, pods, and crushed coffee.
- The tray is removable and safe to use in a dishwasher.
- The water container is also removable and easy to fill.
- The controls are simple and very user-friendly.
- The filter works with both beans and ESE pods.
- A built-in tamper.
- A cup warmer for longer-lasting heat.
- The cup warmer can take a while to produce enough heat to make a cup cosy enough. While this is not a dealbreaker for the espresso machine, it can be a hassle for people who are in a hurry.
- Getting the used coffee bits out of the holder can be problematic at times. While a spoon does the job, it's not exactly a time-saving feature.
Vintage espresso machines have a dedicated following. If you are a fan of these retro espresso machines, then this model is worth a look-see. Indeed, this machine has the rights reserved to call itself a handsome chap from the good old days with all the modern trimmings. It may look vintage but the appliance is made with quality, modern-day stainless steel. As mentioned before, this is a very convenient material, especially for something in the kitchen. Not only does it add a stylish touch to any room but it can be quickly and hygienically cleaned in just a few wipes.
Its ability to make coffee is certainly not stuck somewhere with other machines in the 1500s, either. For example, you can seamlessly switch between making yourself a brew from beans and then a shot of something delicious - made from a pod - for your significant other. A pair of thermostats control the settings of the water and steam to give the home barista even greater control. Speaking of steam, if you're looking for the top espresso machines that mix steam, air, and milk to produce a professional froth, look no further.
Let's riffle through even more benefits, shall we? The system is anti-drip, so say goodbye to the messy drops that are the bane of a barista's life. A cup warmer will also ensure that you can still drink hot espresso after something distracted you for a couple of minutes. Just like other top machines, it also has an auto-shutoff safety feature to save power and prevent heat damage to the appliance. The water container is easy to remove and refill, the cup tray can be removed and an indicator shows how much water is left inside the machine. The steam arm froths fresh milk into all your coffee favourites, you can also use your own choice of coffee grounds, and make two cups of espresso at the same time.
- It has an alluring retro look.
- A stainless steel body that is easy to maintain and clean.
- The filter can handle both bean-made coffee and pods.
- Dual thermostats for steam and water.
- The machine mixes air, steam, and milk for a professional-looking froth layer.
- Anti-drip system for a cleaner appliance and kitchen.
- There is a cup warmer feature to keep espresso hotter for longer.
- It has an auto-shutoff safety feature.
- The cup tray and water container are removable.
- You can use any coffee grounds.
- The maximum cup height that can fit into this machine is only 7 cm.
- The espresso machine has an energy rating of B. The best class, for saving electricity, is A.
Do you want to look at other retro espresso machines? No problem, we've got a real cutie pie right here. This model, which comes in a suitable baby powder blue, has a true vintage look with rails, big dials, and even a temperature gauge. But just like the previous golden oldie, you will get all of the modern perks from the best machines on the coffee-making market.
The machine is self-priming, for starters. That means that it will always be ready for you, no matter the time of day. The inner works include a high pressures system that will also have your brew ready in minutes. So even when you're having a hectic morning, you can still enjoy a wonderful and professionally brewed cup of coffee. Nor do you have to drink alone with only the machine for company. The water container is generous and since the machine can make a pair of cups together, there is plenty to go around for everyone.
But what kinds of coffee does this machine work with? You might be happy to hear that you can use any coffee grounds or ESE pods. This allows anyone to consume a rich variety of their favourite brands and flavours, using the same coffee machine. Indeed, this maker can produce plenty of coffees, including espresso, cappuccino, latte, and flat white. The milk frother and steam pressure control ensure that froth is a royal affair. As a bonus, this coffee machine can also help to cool anyone down during those hot summer months. Just add some ice, fiddle with the controls, and you'll have tasty iced coffees in no time.
- The product measures 28.5 x 20 x 31.5 cm.
- The machine has a lovely retro look.
- Self-priming design means it's always ready to use.
- Makes coffee in minutes.
- It can prepare a pair of cups together.
- A large water container for fewer refills.
- You can use both coffee that's been grounded and ESE pods.
- It can also produce iced coffees.
- A professional crema and froth machine.
- A 2-year guarantee.
- The drip tray can be removed to accommodate taller cups.
- Easy to operate.
- Some consumers find the milk wand too short, especially when they need to heat up larger jugs of milk.
- The machine is also very lightweight. While this does make it easy to move around, one must sometimes hold onto the appliance to steady it before operating the controls.
Espresso Machine Buying Guide
Espresso machines can turn anyone's kitchen into a barista cafe. Not only does it save you the expenses and time of visiting coffee shops, but you can serve professional brews to friends and family. Unfortunately, the market is littered with inferior machines that can waste the resources of an unweary buyer. You needn't turn into another unhappy statistic. Here's how you can prepare yourself to find the most suitable espresso machine for you.
Espresso Machines Must Suit Your Needs
The needs of everyone are different. But it's prudent to consider before buying just what you expect from your perfect machine. Consider things like power usage and looks, perhaps.
But when it comes to producing wonderful coffee, there are also things that must serve your caffeinated monster within. Do you only want a machine that works with coffee pods or should it also accept the grounded variety?
Do you want espresso and other brews? Your chosen machine should be able to whip up your favourite brews. You can also look at water and bean container capacities, how many cups it can make at once, what the frother can contribute, and what the safety features are.
Choose The Espresso Machines That Are User-Friendly
These days, few people will argue that life is complicated. Time is precious and short. Why waste more hours trying to operate an appliance that's difficult to use? That being said, if one of these difficult customers grabs your heart, by all means, go for it. Just be prepared to study the flight manual. But if you want to enjoy the best coffee with the shortest learning curve and years of aromatic espressos, then a more user-friendly model is the best choice. The good news is that more companies are gearing towards designing machines that produce great coffees with a couple of buttons or even just a single touch.
Choose Only The Quality-Made Espresso Machines
While coffee drinkers are free to choose between user-friendly or a more difficult machine, nobody can afford to skimp on quality. Low-quality coffee machines have been known to stop working after a month or sometimes even after the first cup. These beasties also make coffee taste like plastic or tap water, cannot heat the cup enough, and always has some kind of malfunction. Needless to say, that's just annoying and a waste of time, milk, and coffee.
Once again, here is some good news. Finding a great java maker doesn't require a magical quest. They are pretty easy to spot, once you know how. First, you can go for trusted brands that offer a guarantee with their product. A guarantee safeguards the consumer and that is what you want. A promise that nobody is trying to fleece you with an inferior product. Secondly, if you rather admire a coffee machine from a lesser-known brand and there's no warranty, you might still find a gem. Simply check out the happy and not-so-happy consumers' reviews about your chosen machines. They'll give you a pretty good idea about whether you want to buy this product or not.
A Short Summary
Are you eyeing several espresso machines right now? Super. Picking the best of the bunch is a matter of narrowing down certain points. Just make sure that you choose the machine that has the most features you are happy with. It won't hurt to go for user-friendly models and it definitely is a must to scratch the poor-quality products from your list. There you have it. Once you find a machine that's packed with wonderful traits, is built to last, and is easy to use, you can certainly look forward to years of spoiling yourself with barista-style coffee whenever you want.
Q: Which Is The Best Espresso Machine To Use At Home?
A: The best espresso machine to use at home is one that suits your personal needs. Of course, the machine must have a high-quality design and functions. But when it comes down to the features that define which best coffee machines are worth it, they must include at least most of the following. The best ones have a large water tank, burr grinder, adjustable drip tray, efficient milk frother, adjustable settings, and the espresso maker must also be easy to use.
Q: Are Home Espresso Machines Worth It?
A: Yes, home espresso machines are worth it. Whether it's a manual espresso maker, semi-automatic espresso machine, or fully automatic espresso machines, they are definitely an asset to true coffee lovers. The best espresso machines allow anyone to make professional coffee. You can also use one, right in the comfort of your own home, to practice latte art. The best espresso makers make frothing milk and the resulting art very easy. You can drink your bloopers and show off your masterpieces to your friends.
Q: How Do I Use An Espresso Machine?
A: How you use an espresso machine depends on the model. Some espresso machines are very user-friendly and require one or two buttons to work. You simply push them and the espresso maker does the rest. Others are more complicated than that and require a steep learning curve. Each one is different but basically, it involves filling the water reservoir and coffee grounds container, frothing milk, and maintenance.