7 Best Decking Oil Reviews UK 2021 - Top Rated Options Compared
Are you in need of a product that will protect wooden decking from the damp climate, foot traffic, stains or dirt? Perhaps you want to restore and bring out the natural beauty of your wood.
Our best decking oil review narrows down the list of decking oils to suit both your needs and budget!
Best Decking Oils On The UK Market Reviewed In 2021
The best decking oil is the Ultimate Protection Decking Oil By RONSEAL. We gave it the best possible 5/5 star rating.
Are you in search for garden decking treatment that will offer your garden that organic look with a longer lasting finish? Turn to this Ronseal Decking Oil because it contains a unique formula to penetrate deeper into the wood to bring out better adhesion for long lasting effects even though harsh winter months.
Unlike standard decking oils, this Ronseal decking oil provides lightly tinted finishes to give double the resistance to weathering factors and foot traffic protection. It is water based decking treatment that combines the Linseed oil technology to colour and rain proof your deck easily. You get a much more organic look on your deck and it becomes dry and rain proof within 1.5 hours. Whether you want to re coat or not, you need to let it dry for 4 hours.
For you to get ideal looking finish on previously left, untreated grey and weathered decking, you need to use a restorer first to return the original look and colour of your decking and to provide a sound base for application to ensure the oil penetrates effectively. If you are using this decking treatment on a previously finished garden decking, for the best result you need to first clean it up with a decks cleaner and reviver to remove dust, grease, oil, mildew, algae and other contaminants that are around.
Generally, before you start using this deck treatment, make sure you have a clean surface by using a scrubbing brush to open the pores of the wood to remove any contaminants. Ensure that the surface is clean for you to get your desired result.
READ NEXT: Hot Tubs You Need For The Summer
- This product is durable
- Always provides best possible results on previously untreated grey and weathered decking
- This deck paint is suitable to protect both oak hardwood decking and softwood decking
- This great deck treatment provides double protection for a long time
- It gives the decks a much more organic look any day
- This best decking oil is easy to apply and clean
- Reviews like that your hardwood decking or softwood decking is rain proof in 1.5 hours
- Some customers don't like that it will require a bit longer drying time even if you clean the wooden decking often
Second best available product is the new 5L Clear Decking Oil By Liberon. We gave it a 5/5 star rating in this report.
Liberon decking oil is an extraordinary decking treatment that goes beyond expectations to offer durable results and year round resistance. Not only does it leave the decking treated and protected, but it also feeds the timber to enhance the beauty of wide range of wooden surface types, making it one of the best decking oils available in the market. Still wondering what you can do to your previously untreated weathered and already grey wooden surface?
Try this Liberon decking preservative cause it will reduce your worries and put a smile on your face with the outstanding looking results and year round resistance. This deck reviver revives and restores colour shades to that old deck in your garden and it is the best wooden decking stain suitable for use on fences, garden sheds, gates, hot tubs of any size, etc.
The sun is the main cause of change and discolouration of timber. And because you have your decking exposed directly to the harsh environment, it is prone to change its colour and grain with time. This excellent decking oil provides the best protection services from UV rays thanks to its constituent UV filters that aid in reducing discolouration, change and fading effects on weathered and grey timber that the sun causes. It does this while maintaining the finish.
Without any hassle, you can apply this recommended oil with a decking oil applicator and it will dry after an hour of application. And if you need to recoat, it is recommended to wait for one or two days to achieve a better finish. 10 square meters likely require one litre of this product.
- This decking oil product is the best way to revive and enhance almost any type of timber decking you try it on
- These deck oils work to prevent fading, change and discoloration of old timbers and restore grain and colours
- Features UV filters to provide protection against UV rays
- Suitable for use on fences, garden sheds, gates, hot tubs of any size, etc.
- This best weathering oil will last long after being well applied to the surface giving year long resistance
- It has a high VOC level that may be responsible for the strong odors that are dangerous to living things
Third best decking oil to buy is the new UV Guard Exterior Wood Care By Cuprinol. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the prices and information on the Amazon site link below.
Cuprinol UV protection Guard is a no-nonsense decking oil that means business. It stands out among a range of other available decking oil products in the market. This deck reviver provides UV protection with its active UV filters constituent and penetrates into the surface to replace organic oils and resins lost through weathering.
Whether the wood has lost its colour after weathering or it just need treatments, this decking sealer contains a tinted formula that revitalizes the colour of the weathered wood. With it, you are sure to protect the treated surface against staining and damage for a long time and enable easy cleaning.
As it comes in a good looking 5l tin can, it can cover up to 40m2 with two coats applied when you are using a brush or an applicator or with 1 coat using a spray. It is worth noting that coverage can vary depending on the oiling method used and the condition and kind of the surface being applied to.
To apply, you need to shake the tin can thoroughly before oiling and frequently during use to prevent the liquid from forming puddles and possible solidification. Please brush on evenly along the grain.
After this product has been applied, the surface takes about 6 hours to dry. Also, the drying times vary depending on the type of the surface and the environmental conditions.
- This deck treatment product nourishes the treated wood while doing a good job protecting it against the damage of harsh weather elements
- This new decking product gives a beautiful looking lightly tinted finish to your old deck that will be really good for many days
- Features UV filters to make sure of protection against UV rays
- This deck treatment covers well and is easy to apply using a brush or sprayer
- We would recommend this new clear colour treatment because of its top quality protection from UV rays.
- One comment didn't like that more decking oil may be required to fully cover on softwood for UV protection against UV rays
For the fourth place we choose the new Natural Decking Protector By RONSEAL. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
Treating decking is the best way to protect the timber for durability and maintain the good looks in your home. Therefore, it is good to know that treated decking serves you longer. Ronseal DPN5L DIY Decking protection is a recommended choice to provide conservation for the timber. When moisture gets inside the wood, it softens it thus causing it to weather with time and a block of weathered wood is the perfect place for mould and algae to build up.
The decking will begin to rot, form fungus and become unpleasant. We think that using this decking paint, you will prevent moisture penetration to the wood, usually without using any other tools. In addition, this decking oil or stain resists mould and fungi, therefore providing you with a beautiful looking decking that you can relax on during summer periods. Also, it revives the wood decking and shields it from sun damage to prevent greying.
Applying this natural coloured decking stain or oil is very easy when using a paintbrush, roller or a low pressure sprayer. Cleaning the brush with water after you are done painting the decking is easy. Apply two coats to get maximum decking protection. This decking oil gets dry within 90 minutes of application and the wood becomes resistant to water to stop splitting and swelling. This dries to a beautiful looking translucent finish.
The best part about this natural coloured decking product is that it has a massive area coverage meaning, you will save a lot with this coloured decking paint. Use this product on ridged or smooth hardwood decking (like Balau decking) and softwood decking. It is suitable for new deck or recently restored decking because it is porous enough to allow penetration.
- This deck oil is the best way to prevent moisture penetration in woods
- The treated wood is not only always protected, but it looks good
- You can use this deck oil to keep both hardwood decking boards and softwood boards in check
- This deck oil product resists mould and algae growth and that can make the difference on old decks
- Always gets dry within 90 minutes of applying
- This natural coloured decking oil protects from sun damage to prevent greying
- These garden deck oil products are easy to apply with no issues
- Comments say that you need more coats in application, so you need to wait for deck to dry in order to apply more coats. Therefore, it is likely to often require more time, and we recommend to wait probably 2 hours after this paint is first applied on the old decking
Fifth best decking oil to buy is the new Tripple Action Wood Treatment By Everbuild. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. We recommend to look at the price and information on the Amazon page links below.
It may not seem like a bother to you when your decking gets damaged during the winter seasons because you are most of the time indoors. But what you need to know is that when the timber on the decking is completely damaged, it becomes useless and you will incur extra costs to construct another one.
Everbuild LJUN05 Lumberjack Triple Action Wood Treatment is here to the rescue as it is not only a protective coating that cares for your wooden decking boards, it also preserves the colours. The reason why this is one of the best oil based decking treatments available is found on what it says on the can. This clear decking oil is a low solvent and low odour product solution that uses the micro-fine active technology with fungicides, algaecides and permethrin.
These actively kill and protect against stains, wet and dry wood rot, decay, fungi and wood-boring insects/larvae. When applied on the decking, fungicides and algaecides present are finely distributed into the wood to allow easy penetration of the decking oil. Consequently, you get high-quality effectiveness on the wood that you can’t get from standard wood decking preservation products.
This triple-action deck treatment dries fast on the wooden boards and it is non-flammable. This clear decking oil can easily be used on wet timber as this doesn’t compromise the excellent performance. Because it is designed to penetrate deeply into any type of wood and joinery, you get long-lasting protection on all the boards you use it on. These clear coloured deck oils are in the same category as Barrettine garden decking oil products providing all-in-one formula.
- This deck paint protects all kinds of wood boards and their colours against stains, wet and dry rot, decay, fungi and insects
- These new clear coloured decking oil products are easy to use and work to protect and keep your garden deck in check
- You won't require a different oil for your garden sheds, fences or furniture if you purchase this one
- This high quality garden deck oil doesn’t have a strong smell
- We recommend it because it is probably the best decking oil to restore natural look, add colour and help protect against staining and mould
- Treating your deck with one coat or even more coats will definitely help and protect because this clear decking oil contains many top quality ingredients.
- This clear decking oil is watery which is likely to often cause a mess, not recommended to use without protection
Sixth best decking oil to buy is the 2.5L Decking Oil & Protector By Cuprinol. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Cuprinol has been available in the market for over 75 years and is leading in the production of the best wood care decking oil products. The Cuprinol 2.5L Decking Oil and Protector is everything you need for all types of garden decking to protect it.
This product uses a clear varnish formulation to ensure protection against staining and weather effects that damages wood as well as to enhance the natural colour and wood shade as well as grain. You never go wrong when you choose this decking oil and protector because it has a wax enriched formula that penetrates deep into the wood to increase water repellency.
We recommend this protective coating as it helps prevent cracking, peeling and splitting of wood caused by natural and manmade occurrences. The presence of biocides in this deck oil protects the decking against sun, mould, fungi and green algae growth that becomes very unpleasant to look at. By applying it on the wood boards, you will not see any fungi buildup no matter how damp the weather gets.
There is also a preservative formulation that is responsible for the long-lasting protection against any type of stains, rot and decay. It is simple to apply this product on your deck and it will take a very short time to dry up. These new oils may be used on both softwood surface and hardwood surface, give easy application, great new look and protect against dry rot, mould and algae and sun that changes the colour. That is why they are recommended here and we like them. However, a little longer drying time is required for this clear coloured oil.
- These clear deck treatments give multiple benefits to any type of garden decking area and its colours
- You would make use of this clear deck coating on both hardwood decking boards and softwood boards
- This top quality deck coating improves the old deck's water repellency and will keep it healthy
- It offers good protection that every decking needs against the different effects of sun and weather
- These treatments have biocides to protect the treated wood against stains, mould and fungi growth
- This great decking oil is simple to apply, and treating your deck with it will really help because it contains many right ingredients for protection.
- These top quality decking oil products are too waxy which always increases the drying time
Seventh best decking oil to get is the Anti-Slip Decking Oil By Osmo company. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Feel free to check the prices and information on the Amazon website link below.
Most surfaces require anti-slip decking paint to reduce chances of one slipping and falling and so is the decking surface. This Osmo decking treatment is anti slip decking oil that is highly recommended for use on wooden decking boards to produce a slip resistant and safer decking surface.
This anti slip decking paint provides protection against staining, algae and fungal buildup which in turn increases the endurance of the surface. It produces a satin finish that is extremely water-resistant and dirt-repellent to give it a great look even through harsh winter months. The use of organic vegetable oils provides a microporous finish to allow the wood to breathe and it also helps to regulate the moisture content to reduce swelling and shrinkage. In the end, the anti slip finish doesn’t crack, flake, peel or blister on touch.
For you to get the best stand-alone finish, apply 2 coats on the surface with this anti-slip decking oil. It is easy to apply this anti-slip oil using a brush. You can coat approximately 24 square meters per 1l of this product.
Apply this anti-slip decking oil after a pigmented/sealer (Black or dark) finish because when you apply on a clear treatment, the wood will start to darken naturally over time. Rustins textured and Barrettine are decking oils in the same category that exhibit these anti-slip features. However, a little longer drying time is required for this clear coloured treatment.
- This clear colour deck paint offers slip resistance to the surface
- We want to recommend this well designed product because it is one of the best available today
- 24 square meters per 1l of this product to keep your decking in check.
- You won't require a different oil for your garden furniture
- Applying this anti slip treatment protects the decking surface against fungal decay, staining and damage
- This clear anti-slip deck paint is water and dirt resistant
- These anti-slip products work to reduce wood damage, swelling and shrinkage
- This anti-slip treatment has a long drying time so one needs to sit back and wait
A Guide To Decking Oils
You have probably purchased the best weed killer. You most likely have invested in a quality garden shed and painted it with the best shed paint, and covered your wooden fence with a wood preserver and an attractive shade of fence paint.
But an old and dull deck can diminish your efforts.
You need to purchase the best decking oil in the market. We will show you how to make the right choice, one that will provide you with value for your money.
What You Need To Know
The first advice we can give you is to consider the durability. Since the decking is meant to be exposed to the outdoor environment, the decking oil should offer long-lasting effects to reduce the maintenance price. The sun and water would beat down on the deck, snow can pile up and also dirt and mildew spores would settle on the surface during the winter seasons.
These factors will affect the endurance of the decking oil depending on the quality. If you get cheaper, poor quality teak decking oil, with time, it cracks and causes mildew buildup. Only the best will last long regardless of the conditions they are exposed to and some also fend off the dirt. Read the reviews from people who have used the product, it will help.
Preservation properties also matter when choosing decking oil. The main purpose of decking oil is to provide protection of the wood against harsh environmental conditions. Well-Known teak decking oils brands like Ronseal, Cuprinol, Ipe, Holzol and Diall ensure that the decking oils they produce contains formulations that treat and protect the treated wood against staining, UV rays, mould and algae growth and become soak, water and dirt resistant.
Decking oil treatments with a clear finish give basic protection and allow the wood to turn grey naturally without splitting, warping, cupping or cracking. The coloured decking oil paints are advanced to protect the treated wooden boards against sun damage much better than clear decking stain or varnish.
How safe is the decking oil when in use is also a factor to consider because you don’t want the decking oil to affect your health or that of the pets and the people around you. The decking oil you get should meet environmental standards that call for lower volatile organic compounds.
Products that have high VOCs are linked to a couple of pollution, smog and respiratory problems that would lead to headaches and dizziness. Go for the brand that produces decking oils or deck sealant with a lower VOC value.
The type of wood will determine whether you use the decking oil or not. There are some coloured decking oils that would be used on both softwood boards and hardwood decking boards whereas others are best used on hardwood decking. Since decking oil is designed to protect timber without necessarily changing its look, it will do best on hardwood decking surface to retain a natural tan.
There is also the clear decking oil that retains the natural colour of your cupboard, or outdoor furniture and the colour tinted oil that adds character and gives the pine or oak wood a specific look. Depending on your project and preference, you would choose which chart will work best for you.
Decking Oil FAQs
Q: What is better, decking oil or stain?
A: There is no much difference between a stain and oil. They both build a plastic-like layer over the deck surface that will seal and protect the timbers from weathering and foot traffic. However, a deck stain will improve the appearance of the deck by changing the colour of the timber, whereas a deck oil will just enhance the natural colour of the wood. Decking oil is best used if you want to leave the natural colour of the wood as it is.
Q: What is the difference between decking oil and decking protection?
A: There is no difference between the two. Decking oil acts as a protection of the timber from different weather elements and against foot traffic and natural environmental elements.
Garden Related Products You May Be Interested In