10 Best Carpet Underlay Reviews UK 2020 - Top Rated Models Compared
Carpet underlay adds an extra layer of cushioning which makes the carpet more comfortable to step on, provides extra insulation from cold, absorbs noise and lengthens the life your carpet. it’s an integral part of your flooring.
So how do you choose the right one for your floor? From rubber to felt, crumb, and polyurethane, you’ll find our review of the best carpet underlay quite useful.
Best Carpet Underlay On The UK Market Reviewed In 2020
The best carpet underlay is the Red Crumb Rubber Carpet Underlay By Flooring Online UK. We gave this one a 5/5 star rating.
The first thing that makes the Tredaire Colours Carpet underlay the most modern and top-notch in the market, is the fact that it can be used with all types of floor surfaces. It is 11.4mm thick and is made of the softest sponge rubber material to support and bring the comfort you deserve when you are walking on your carpet floor.
This crumb rubber carpet underlay increases the carpet’s durability by 40% letting you save the cost of replacing the carpet every now and then. It can ensure the underfloor feels soft and warm which is the best carpet underlay to use in flats and hallways. The size of a full roll of this crumb rubber carpet underlay is 8m by 1.37m for 10.96sq.meters and it weighs 47kg.
READ NEXT: Top rated hammer drill reviews
- This home rubber carpet underlay can be used with all types of floors
- Crumb rubber is great for heavy footfall noise from upstairs rooms
- This rubber carpet underlay provides 40% increase on the carpet life
- This crumb rubber underlay provides a soft and warm feeling underfloor
- This home carpet underlay features great room noise reduction for very noisy areas
- This rubber underlay prevents carpet pile flattening
- This rubber carpet underlay is a bit expensive
The second best underlay is the 9mm Thick Carpet Underlay Rolls By Cloud 9. We gave this one 5/5 stars.
Cloud 9 Cirrus carpet underlay is made of high quality polyurethane material that has thermal settings to provide the warmth underfoot. The thermal insulation used is 2.6 tog rating and is 9mm thick. The materials used for this rug underlayment are eco-friendly for they contain 39dB sound impact insulation and are non-toxic.
This is the best carpet underlay to use in your leisure indoor activities like partying for it provides all the luxury needed on the underfoot and reduces the airborne noise levels in the room. The full roll of the thermal carpet underlay has a density of 90kg per m3 and it’s easy to fix by yourself. It is really something that makes a difference.
READ NEXT: Top rated telescopic ladder reviews
- Our pick number two is nontoxic and helps to protect the joints in the planks or tiles
- Second best underlay easily fits in any room of your home
- The second best underlay features great noise reduction in the bedroom or any room in your home
- Best way to be environment friendly and cancel out noise from neighbours
- It is another one that has been said to be heavy priced compared to others
Third place on the best underlay list goes to the Luxury Carpet Underlay By Wilsons Underlays. We gave this one a 5/5 star rating.
The Wilson products are woolen to provide maximum heat insulation on the floor. The manufacturer used this woolen technique purposefully for the intention of heat retention. Wool, as we all know is best for heat preservation and underfloor heating and that’s why it is used to make things like blankets for warmth.
This best underlay for carpets is perfect for your home for it does not compress no matter the weight exerted. Therefore you have to worry less about furniture dents when you have this woolen underlay. You can use these products on different types of floor.
The carpet underlay brings softness feeling when you step foot on a carpet. This underlay for carpet reduces sound by approximately 44db and has a tog rating of 3.9.
READ NEXT: Top Rated Safety Boots
- Goes well with best carpets on the market, suitable for all types of areas
- This home carpet underlay is easy to fit
- The third best undrelay can fit most budgets and is great shock absorber
- This best underlay features great room noise reduction
- Can offer best underfloor heating service for stairs in order to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy bills
- Absorbs moisture
Our pick number four is the Heatflow Carpet Underlay 6.1mm By Duralay. We gave this one a 4.5/5 star rating.
The Duralay Heatflow underlay for carpet is spongy in nature and suitable for the stretch to fit installation of carpets. The roll measures 1.33m by 11.33m with a surface area of 15.07sqm.
You can use this sponge rubber underlay on different floors and you don’t need to worry about dents on your furniture. It does not compress, no matter the weight exerted on it, and that is why it is one of the most sought-after products in the market right now. If you want maximum heat insulation on your floor flat, these are the right products to go for.
- Underfloor in any room remains warm
- Right combination of density and thickness
- Provides comfort when stepping in any condition
- Best underfloor heating properties
- This sponge rubber carpet underlayTears easily
Fifth place goes to the Luxury 12mm Carpet Underlay By T & A Upholstery Supplies. We gave the fifth best underlay a 4.5/5 star rating.
Luxury PU Underlay is made of polyurethane foam insulation to provide maximum thermal heat retention underfoot. It is 12mm thick and eco-friendly with Grade A. Although there are chemicals in the material used, the underlay is non-toxic.
It is easy to fit this underlay and the roll has a 1.37m width as well as 15 square metre surface area. With a tog rating of 2.71, this is an ideal prodcut to go for if you really want to experience the most satisfactory result.
90kg per m3
2.71 Tog rating
Free Samples Available - Just Request One Via Messages
- Non-toxic with 2.71 tog rating
- Easy to install in any room, no need for professional services
- Environmentally friendly foam flooring underlay
- Best underfloor heating for laminate and wood flooring
- Easily rips
Sixth place goes to the 10mm PU Carpet Underlay By T & A Upholstery Supplies. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
Made with a thickness of 10mm, the high-quality PU underlay fits perfectly under the carpet. It is easy to install and is non-toxic. The carpet underlay is made of great heat insulators hence the warm feeling as you step. The width is 1.37m and a density of 90kg per m3, 2.71 tog rating.
10mm High Quality PU Underlay
A great underfloor heating item from our huge range of carpets & underlay items which can be delivered next working day to most of the UK. Our shop imports directly from the manufacturer companies passing the savings directly on to you, meaning you get an online price lower than high street trade prices. All of our prices include VAT with a VAT receipt being supplied by e-mail.
1.37m Wide x Appropriate Length to give you the stated size in m²
10mm luxury vinyl Thickness
Thickness : 10mm
90kg per m3
2.71 Tog rating
Please note that a full roll is 15m in area so if your chosen area is greater than 15m then there will be more than 1 package
Free Samples Available - Just Request One Via Messages
- This flooring underlay solution can preserve heat
- Great characteristics provide top performance and other advantages
- Easily fits in any room and has 2.71 tog rating
- Manufacturers managed to form a good and flexible material
- Provides comfort when stepping
- This home carpet underlay is non-toxic
- These types of underlay products tear easily
Seventh place goes to the Carpet Underlay By Flooring Online UK. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating. Feel free to check the price and details on the Amazon website link below.
The felt carpet has a thickness of 10mm and 42oz structure. The full roll fits 15sq.meters. The material used in the construction enables the carpet underlay to have high heat retention ability to bring the warmth on the feet when stepping on it.
10mm Thick Underlay Why should i buy this Underlay instead of a PU Foam Underlay? A woolen underlay gives;- Better Insulation than PU Foam; -Create less furniture indentation marks - it is doesn't get flat of wear off on high foot traffic areas of carpet,- It feel opposite of hard underfoot - don't forget most carpets are made from it!- It is a natural fibre which is won't disintegrate and will last a lifetime!Its suitable for many floors,concrete,wood,asphalt and many more
Thickness: 10mm ThickRoll Size: 15sq.metres
One of the best tog ratings: 3.4 tog rating approx.
Sound Reduction: 33db approx.
Weight: 22kilos per roll approx.
Features & details
10mm Thick - 42oz Underlay
15sq.metres Per Roll
Free Next Working Day Delivery if ordered before 3pm
Part Number AMZ-Underlay-552
Package Dimensions 140 x 40 x 40 cm
- This flooring underlay solution features high heat insulation
- Comfortable on stepping
- Great decision in case you want to reduce risk of wear and tear as well create a noise membrane or barrier
- It will not affect the furnishings in your household
- Suitable for many floor types
- These products aren't moisture resistant
Eighth best carpet underlay is the 10mm Foam Carpet Underlay By Platinum Underlay. We gave it 4.5/5 stars.
The material used in making the platinum carpet underlay is a composition of foam and a plastic laminate. The materials are known for their complete water resistance which is perfect to use the underlay on damp surfaces, but it is not recommended for stairs and steps.
The foam underlay has a 2.20 tog rating and 32db sound resistance. It is 10mm thick and 82kg/m2 dense. 10mm Foam Carpet Underlay By Platinum Underlay
- Good felt underlay as it forms a spongy feel on stepping, providing a cushioned depth of comfort underfoot
- This flooring underlay solution doesn’t absorb moisture
- The foam can be recycled after some time
- Easy to lay with good heating properties
- Provides protection against damage from water
- These types of products compress on impact, not the best to put under your door
- Not the best carpet underlay for hall or stairs because the laminate splits on the joints
- Low level of noise reduction is another bad side
Ninth best carpet underlay is the Luxury Foam Carpet Underlay By Snugstep. We gave it a 4/5 star rating. Feel free to check the price and details on the Amazon site links below.
SnugStep® Underlay is made of 10mm thick PU foam insulation material. This is the popular feature that provides warmth and can reduce the distance that noise will reach. People love this underlay for carpets as it suits any carpet type in your house.
This insulating underlay is bouncy in nature thanks to the special feature, spring Back Foam high Quality, to provide comfort on stepping. The dimensions per full roll are 137cm by 37cm by 37cm and it weighs 12.9kg and is 10mm thick.
- Best sound reducing underlay for a lot of places
- Gained recommendations from users for many reasons
- It will improve the look of homes.
- Design suitable for all carpets and all rooms
- This flooring underlay solution provides comfort when stepping
- Many customers recommend its luxurious appearance and finish, long lifespan, stability and longevity
- The flooring underlay solution is not very thick, which might be inconvenient if you have kids
Our 10th choice is the 8mm Felt Carpet Underlay By Multi-Rich company. We gave it 4/5 stars.
This is one of the best options for your home, coming for one of the best brands on the England market. The Multi-Rich Felt Carpet Underlay is made of almost 100% woolen hence the name. Wool acts as a great heat insulator and has good soundproofing properties.
This carpet underlay is 10mm thick for the purpose of feeling soft and bouncy underfoot. The insulated underlay fits well on the stairs for it doesn’t move on the joints. In addition, it will help to smooth out uneven subfloor spaces in order to provide the best results.
- Best carpet underlay for carpet, stairs and landing
- Excellent sound dampening underlay and it feels soft on touch
- Provides safety and isolation for all space sizes
- This budget friendly option gives best value for the money you pay
- This flooring underlay provides comfort when stepping, among a variety of other benefits
- This flooring underlay is a good water absorbent and is prone to dampness
Carpet Underlays Buying Guide
Carpets accumulate both dust and moisture fast while on the floor. And if left unclean, it could turn into a health hazard. For this reason, every home needs a cordless vacuum, carpet cleaner, and handheld steam cleaner to get rid of the accumulated dust and debris.
But a carpet underlay can protect your carpet for an extended period. Although most home projects demand using a hammer drill and safety boots, a carpet underlay is straightforward in its installation. We will guide you through choosing the best carpet overlay.
Benefits of having a carpet underlay
We have seen that having a carpet underway lengthens the life of your best carpet to make it durable and save the cost of replacing your carpet. The underlay for carpets is placed directly on the floor and carefully tacked in with your carpet to provide protection for the carpet from moisture and also to complement it.
Living in areas where noise is an issue, having carpet underlay in lounge of bedrooms helps reduce the distance the noise reaches. Aside from this, the carpet underlay offers a soft and comfortable feeling as you step as well as adding style to your room.
Factors to consider when buying a carpet underlay
Carpet underlays come in different styles, thicknesses and for different purposes. The first thing we recommend to put in mind when buying this carpet underlay is comfort. Getting the right carpet underlay for your floor and sits well with your carpet provides the comfort when you walk. Another thing to take into consideration is the floor type of your house.
There are different carpet underlay types to select depending on the kind of floor you have. For example, there are the carpet tile underlays, underlay for laminate flooring etc.
Our advice - the thicker the carpet underlay, the better for soundproofing. Take that factor into account. Having the right underlay with the right amount of thickness can help a great deal in curbing noise pollution in the neighboring houses to a minimum.
For warmth, our advice is to search the material the carpet underlay is made of. Felt carpets tend to retain a great amount of heat, followed by the insulated carpets.
Carpet Underlays Buying FAQs
Q: Is the carpet underlay durable?
A: Yes and no. The material used in making the underlay determines the durability of the carpet underlay. The felt carpet underlays tend to last longer than the foam counterparts and are good for your carpet and underlay surface.
Q: Are all the underlay for carpets moisture resistant?
A: Not all of them but some. The materials used in making theses underlays are different and hence have different water absorption capabilities. The felt carpets are the worst to use in damp for they absorb water while the plastic PU foam ones have moisture resisting properties.