Best Car DVD Player Reviews UK 2020 - Top-Rated Models Compared
How many times have we gone on vacation with family and wished for a TV to pass the time on the road? Luckily for our children (and us!), that is no longer an impossible ordeal as countless companies are looking to kick entertainment up a notch. But what is the best portable DVD player, how does it work and what does one look for when buying? We have tried to showcase everything you need to know before purchasing, so read below and take that next step whenever you get the chance.
Compatibility: CD, DVD, DVD R, DVD-RW, VCD, SVCD-R (RW), CD-R (RW), USB or SD card (up to 32G FAT32).
Charging Modes: AC Power Adapter & 12V - 2A Car Charger.
Special Feature: Break-point Memory.
Compatibility: CD, DVD, DVD R, DVD RW, VCD, SVCD, CD-R / RW, USB & SD card.
Charging Modes: 3-in-1 AV Adapter, Wall Charger & Car Charger.
Special Feature: Gaming Joystick Mode.
Best Car DVD Players On The UK Market Reviewed In 2020
The best car DVD player is Wonnie’s 26.6 cm portable model that comes in the form of a dual-screen shipment. The 26.6 cm portable DVD players represent the new generation of entertaining devices that promote a resolution of up to 1024x600 and use an integrated 2700mAh, 5-hour rechargeable battery. Whether your kids want to use the best car DVD players to watch the same films or different ones, Wonnie’s got their back.
Considering how audio is one of the most critical components of an exquisite watching experience, the manufacturers have included two powerful built-in speakers that always provide a clear stereo sound. Its built-in USB/SD card slot is region free and supports multiple compatibilities so that you can play all of your downloaded media at all times. To make everything as comfortable as can be, Wonnie also includes two braces and straps that can adjust the portable DVD players on the headrest easily.
- It has a convenient memory function that starts the movie where you left it off.
- It comes with a one-year warranty by Wonnie and a full-refund policy within 30 days.
- It has three power supply modes.
- It promotes a battery working time of 4-5 hours.
- It has braces and straps that prevent moving and shaking.
- Some customers noted that they experienced delays in USB recognition.
- It doesn’t support MP4 videos.
Another Wonnie portable DVD player has made it on the list because of its high functionality and variable features. The 25.6 cm car DVD players use a simple system in which the host monitor syncs with the second one and starts playing the same movies or videos. The unit also has a built-in battery that can sustain a working life of 5 hours for the primary DVD player and 2-3 hours for the second one.
The portable DVD players have a USB port and an SD card slot that can read different file formats like AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, XVID, MP3, WMA or JPEG. The devices also have a ‘rights reserved’ multi-region function, so the CDs and DVDs you bought abroad are compatible. The two DVD players connect through DC and AV cables, so you have a steady video quality. For better acoustic enjoyment, Wonnie has also improved its built-in speakers by raising the maximum volume from 10 to 20.
- It comes with a one-year warranty by Wonnie and a free money-back guarantee.
- It has a memory function that starts the movies where you left them off.
- It comes with headrest mount accessories and chargers.
- Its DVD slot has a very convenient clamshell design.
- It supports a connection to the TV.
- It doesn’t support Blu-ray video quality.
- You can only operate the first DVD player as the other one serves as a secondary monitor.
Even though this model has a screen size that is relatively smaller than its competitors’, Amazon has rightly tagged the 19.5 cm portable DVD player as one of its most renowned bestsellers. The DVD player has a convenient design and a lightweight form ideal for travelling, camping or bus-riding. The unit is very stylish and comfortable because it has a black plastic cover that’s coated with aluminium key controls. You can rotate the screen within a 180 axis to the left and a 90 axis to the right, offering you a vast viewing scope.
The high-quality DVD player is not only limited to playing CDs and DVDs, as you can also transform it into a gaming monitor. Thanks to its Game USB for gaming joysticks, it entertains all the family. The unit is also among the best portable DVD players because it supports a user-friendly operation that’s controlled either by remote control or control keys.
- It has a 3 in 1 AV cable and a wall & car charger.
- Its internal battery can provide with about 4 hours of non-stop use.
- It promotes a screen-sharing feature that can connect to other monitors.
- You can rotate it on the left or right side, or flip it over as a tablet.
- It doesn’t read HD, Blu-ray, MP4 and Dolby sound file formats.
- It has a U-disk and card slot that’s incompatible with devices over 16 GB.
If you’re looking to get your kids a new gift, then you will love the 2020 headrest DVD player by Apeman. Amazon loved it so much it labelled it as the best portable DVD player for kids - a statement most of its buyers agreed with. With a screen size of 29.2 cm and an LCD, it can swivel the headrest DVD player up to 270° for the perfect versatility.
As with the best car DVD players, you can use the device by directly playing movies via its USB port and SD card socket. Whether you plan on using it on home or when travelling, the portable DVD player will stay powered on through it all. The device has an integrated 2500 mAh battery that can last for about five hours while including an extra car charger and an AC power adapter. Even though Apeman has high-quality speakers, you can also use external headphones for an ideal watching experience.
- It is region-free, meaning that you can play DVDs from all around the world.
- It allows you to switch subtitles in eight different languages.
- It can play e-books from USBs.
- You can connect it to a TV or other monitor.
- It has a headphone port and a USB port.
- It’s not compatible with HD, Blu-ray, MP4 & Dolby sound.
- Some costumers have reported that its CD lid is rather flimsy and prone to coming off.
For the cinephile lovers who can’t bear the standard 480p video quality on their headrest mount DVD players, we present Asonixx’s 22.8 cm model that will undoubtedly leave you in awe. The dual mechanical button car DVD players can either sync using the included AV cable or watch different films. Equipped with the last decoder chips, the fantastic DVD players support a full HD 1080p picture quality. The device can also play MP4 files, which is an advantage not found on other CAR DVD players.
The DVD player has its rights reserved by Sony Electronics and is compatible with playing all-region discs. Its integrated speakers, IR transmitter for wireless headphones and FM transmitter for the car speaker support a versatility that’s not so common. The package also includes a headrest mountable bracket, compatible with almost all cars in the market.
- You can operate it either by remote control or command panel.
- Its last memory-resume function can continue on your previous pause.
- It supports 8 Bit Wireless games and SD/USB mode output.
- It includes two free IR headphones.
- Some consumers reported that adjusting it to the headset was a hassle.
With a relatively smaller screen size but a more extensive range of use, we have the 17.7 cm car DVD player by Next Base. The device can play different file formats, including DVD, MP3, CD, JPEG, CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW. The portable DVD player has a convenient design that you can adjust on the car. The unit supports a high resolution LED display that will boost all your kids’ cartoons.
Another significant addition to this series of Car DVD players lies in its anti-skip facility that counteracts the bumps in the road by not causing buffer or unnecessary flickering. The player also includes a USB slot for up to 16GB and an SD/SDHC socket for playing all your downloaded home movies. As with the best DVD players, the device also uses an auto-resume facility that auto starts the media at the exact minute you have left it on.
- It has a neat design that allows for disc insertion behind the unit.
- Its brushed texture removes the fingerprint marks build-up.
- It comes with a headrest mount that’s worth £24.99.
- You can operate it by the [included] remote control.
- It supports infra-red wireless headphones.
- The car engine needs to stay on for it to stay powered on too.
- It has an out-of-date software.
As its manufacturers have put it, the 22.8 cm portable DVD players are the best companions for an incredible journey. With a new slim-line design and a vivid wide-screen display, your kids will gain a new home away from home, no matter how far you’re travelling. You can use the portable DVD player on its own or linked up with its second screen by the supplied cable.
The Voyager car DVD players have high-resolution pixel displays that use an anti-skip technology that “fights” the bumps on the road and offers a consistent movie-watching experience. Compatibility won’t be an issue either since the portable player supports a wide range of formats including DVD, MP3, CD, JPEG, CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R and DVD+/-RW. The device powers up by the 12V car charger that’s included upon delivery. If you want to use the DVD player as a tablet, you can also purchase the additional 240V mains power cable.
- It supports infra-red wireless headphones.
- It comes with a patented headrest mount that’s easy to set up.
- It has an auto-resume feature that lets you pick up where you left off.
- It includes two free earbud headphones.
- It plays DVDs from any region, as it is region-free.
- Its infrared feature supports a very short distance.
- Its volume levels aren’t very high.
If your idea of the best portable DVD players is linked with a larger screen, then you will love this product by Pumpkin. The upgraded car DVD players use a screen size of 25.6 cm that’s outlined with an ultra-thin HD display. Its included AV cable allows you to either use the two screens to watch the same movie or two movies simultaneously on either side. You can also take advantage of the region-free feature and play all the DVDs you’ve gathered from around the world.
The best feature of this portable DVD player is that it has a neat and comfortable design that both kids and adults can efficiently operate. Its top-loading optical drive loads and pops the DVDs automatically. This is a function that’s not only helpful but ensures the maximum protection for the unit. Its built-in USB/TF card socket can withstand up to 128GB with FAT32 format, which is also rarely found among portable DVD players. Its compatibility includes DVDs, SVCDs, VCDs, CDs, MP3s, JPGs, AVIs, AVIs, MPEGs and DIVXs.
- It has an auto-resume last memory function that lets you continue a movie where you stopped it.
- You can operate it either by using its screen control panel or remote control.
- It comes with two headrest mount accessories that keep it in place.
- It includes two free wired headphones.
- Several customers have noted that the mounting system is rather hard to set up.
- The second players’ picture quality drops when being shared from the first one.
The best car DVD players are usually compact-sized, as shown in Bush’s 17.8 cm unit that has a lot of prominent features within itself. The multi-region car DVD player can play two movies simultaneously while not making you worry about any region zones. Its integrated battery and included power cable ensure that you can either use the DVD player while the car engine is running or without it in its tablet mode.
For operating the portable DVD player, you’ll be pleased to know that you can use two modes: the easy-to-use control panel on the bottom of the screen or the included remote control. On the right side of the DVD player, you can conveniently find the USB and SD slots that can play your media as opposed to the movies. One less thing to worry about also includes the headrest mounting set that is manufactured to fit almost any car on the market.
- It has a compact design that makes handling easier.
- The one-year Amazon renewed guarantee backs it.
- It comes with two headphone earbuds.
- It includes both car and home chargers.
- Good value for money.
- Some customers reported that they had received faulty AV cables.
- It doesn’t support all video types playback from memory cards.
Last but not least, we have another titan in both screen size and features range, designed by the fantastic XTRONS manufacturers. With a 25.6 cm screen and an ultra-thin design with touch buttons, this car DVD player will keep both the kids and the parents happy. The region free DVD players offer superior visual entertainment by employing a high pixel density of 1024*600 resolution, relieving you completely from eyestrains or fatigue.
The portable DVD player also uses some best advanced and various ports available such as AV IN/OUT, USBs, SDs, HDMI and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Thanks to these features you can easily use the DVD player for streaming on your TV screen, as a tablet or even as a music player. As for its integrated functions, it’s important noting that the portable DVD player also supplies a built-in speaker system for pure sounds, IR transmitter for wireless earbuds and FM wire for the car stereo.
- It includes mounting brackets for an easy installation.
- It has five different specifications of drive pipes, so they match most car types.
- It has passed the vehicle crash test, so it takes its maximum safety measures.
- It has a remote control that can also turn into a gaming joystick.
- It supports 32 Bit games.
- Some users have reported that its DVD playback skips randomly.
- It was reported that the screen sharing feature is prone to disconnection issues.
Car DVD Player Buying Guide
Whether you’re looking to make a long trip more enjoyable for your kids or want to be up to date with the entertainment industry, a car player is a more than welcomed addition to most car owners. Thanks to the full range of design, versatility, functions and compatibility - it’s almost impossible not to be satisfied with the significant number of products available on demand. You can seldom go wrong when buying a portable DVD player, but to make that as sure as possible, you can use the following checklist to get the best bargain.
A DVD player plays DVDs so that any disc will do. Well, no. Discs are usually formatted in different ways, with some of them being CDs, DVDs, DVD Rs, DVD-RWs, VCDs, SVCD-Rs (RWs) or CD-Rs (RWs).
You should always check whether the device you’re interested in can read the file type of your disc or it will be a flawed purchase. Other immense advantages of DVD players include USB ports and SD sockets that can be used for playing your media or downloaded movies. But more of that later.
Another issue is presented with different region discs that your player might not be compatible with. Even if all the discs you own are from a specific region, always aim with buying a DVD player that’s region-free or multi-region, because other issues can arise. Compatibility mainly refers to the hardware of the device, but there is also the case of software.
With the growing trend of streaming services and downloading movies, there isn’t much interest in buying good old DVDs that can easily be stacked inside the player. USBs and SDs are an unmatched convenience that should be accommodated with any current technological advancement. However, most DVD players are manufactured some years before 2020, so they are not fully compatible with reading different file formats that are usually found in memory cards.
Some of the most commonly found file formats vary from AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, XVID, MP3, WMA or JPEG, and mostly different players support them. MP4 is primarily unsupported, except in cases which the unit can play Full HD or Bluray media. If you don’t want to run the cost of converting your files into acceptable formats that your DVD player can read, read the specifications beforehand and see if the item is worth its while.
The standard method of keeping a car DVD player powered on is by charging through the car’s cigarette lighter.
Manufacturers usually supply a charging adapter or a wall charger that can be used for turning the DVD player into a full-on tablet.
However, the best devices have an integrated battery that is charged and made to sustain their life for hours with no power source. These DVD players reduce the power consumption levels and eliminate the need for keeping the car engine running for them to work.
Video and Audio Quality
This is more of a matter of preference than a requirement, but it’s always important to be informed of the potential there is. The video quality is significantly impacted by the screen size of the device since a bigger screen entails a better quality. Most DVD players use a 480p resolution, which is an equivalent to the SD resolution on a TV screen. If you’re willing to pay more, you can always get a Full-HD device that will undoubtedly improve your watching experience.
As for the audio, it’s essential to look for devices that have an integrated speaker system that enhances the audio quality. If you’re unsure of this feature, you can take its power output wattage as a reference point. According to the manufacturers, the overall output is 4 x 45W, which is ideal for playing light music at a medium to high volume levels - which should be sufficient for a car setting.
Q: What is a dual-screen DVD player?
A: It is a media playing bundle that is primarily aimed at car headrests. Typically, the two-screen device is separated by the primary screen and the slave screen that is connected using an AV cable. Whatever you’re playing on the primary screen will also be played in the secondary one, thus establishing an entertainment corner on the backseat of your car. Even though the dual-screen setting makes the slave screen dependent on the main one, there are plenty of products that are manufactured for simultaneous and independent playing on both players.
Q: What should I look for when buying a DVD player for my car?
A: Buying a DVD player for your car is like buying other electronic devices used for streaming movies and other media. Primarily, you want to make sure you have got a recent model compatible with the latest file formats (USB, SD) and supports different disc types. If you want to use the DVD player for extended amounts of time, also ensure that its power source is manageable by your car, and it uses long-living battery life.
Q: What is the best portable DVD player?
A: Wonnie’s extraordinary 26.6 cm is the best model because it represents the new generation of entertainment devices that are not only top-notch quality but functional, resilient and durable too.
Q: What is the most common format for car DVD players?
A: The most common format that car DVD players use is MPEG-2. The best units support a more comprehensive range of sizes that goes from standard DVDs to Full-HD Blu-rays, but that is more of an exception than a rule. Luckily there is a lot of third-party software that can convert most media types to MPEG-2, so whatever DVD player you have purchased will read the file.