10 Best Automatic Cat Feeder Reviews UK 2021 - Top Rated Models Compared
As our schedules get busier, it’s our feline friends that pay the price. Their set eating times become disoriented and they end up having their meals too late or much earlier than they should.
If you and your cat are agonising over this, it’s time to get an automatic cat feeder. Check out the best automatic cat feeder in our review and buying guide.
Best Automatic Cat Feeders On The UK Market Reviewed In 2021
The best automatic cat feeder is the Digital Timer Automatic Cat Feeder By Cat Mate. We gave it a 5/5 star rating.
The Cat Mate C500 is a plastic, smart pet feeder that is primarily meant to feed your cat but can also be used to feed small dogs. It is a battery-operated digital cat timer feeder that works with 3 AA batteries which will give 12 months of battery life.
It is going to serve meals to your pets at the normal feeding times even when you are away during the day, evening or weekend. Unlike most of the other automatic cat feeders, the Cat Mate C500 is suitable for both dry and wet food. It features the twin ice packs and a close-fitting lid to help keep the food fresh for longer.
The digital timer is easy to use and all you need to do is set up the cat feeder timer for the required meal times and it will handle the rest. Once you have completed the settings, all the programmed feeds are visible on the LCD screen. The Cat Mate C500 has five large food compartments, each can hold 330g of food. This is enough for two cats or a small dog.
Another good thing about this cat feeder is that its components can be cleaned easily. Both the lid and the single bowl are dishwasher-safe. For extra stability, you can fasten the Cat Mate C500 to a wooden board because it has been designed to be tamper-resistant to pets. This cat auto feeder is also very easy to set up with a simple touch of a button on control panel that is near the LCD screen.
- It is a convenient pet feeder since it can feed your pet up to five meals at his normal feeding times.
- The dry or wet food in this electronic cat feeder remains fresh for long thanks to the twin ice packs.
- The Cat Mate C500 auto feeder is suitable for both cats and dogs.
- It has a long battery life of 12 months of continued use with 3 AA batteries and has a long warranty of 3 years.
- It has 5 compartments, each holds 330g of food
- Great LCD screen
- Although it is described as easy to use, some people will still find it hard to understand how to set it up.
- Sometimes the pet food timer cat feeder fails to work thereby interfering with your pet’s feeding routine.
Our second place choice is the Automatic Dry Food Dispenser By Cat Mate. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The Cate Mate C3000 is not only a cat feeder but also it can work for small dogs. It allows you to serve up to 3 individual portion sizes a day. This way, you are able to minimize the health risks and costs of overfeeding your pets. This automatic wet cat food dispenser timer has a unique feed mechanism that ensures accurate and consistent portion sizes from 10 grams upwards.
It dispenses food for cats and small dogs. Also, being a timed cat feeder, the Cate Mate C3000 allows you to serve extra meals on-demand or in advance of the programmed feeding times. Some of the key features of the Cate Mate C3000 include the frequent feed mode, which provides an option for feeding numerous small meals a day.
This is ideal for pets that have specific dietary requirements such as diabetes. You will find it very easy to use thanks to the written instructions and the quick start video guide that is available online. The Cate Mate C3000 requires 4 C cell batteries to operate which will give it an approximate of 6 to 9 months of battery life if continuously used.
It has a bit larger capacity food hopper that can hold up to 3Kgs or 12 cups of dry cat food. This is enough for a medium sized cat for a month. When it comes to maintaining the Cate Mate C3000, it is quite simple since the hopper lid, the pet food bowl and the feeding mechanism can be removed and are dishwasher safe.
It has a snap-lock lid and patented self-closing feed nozzle to prevent your pet from feeding before the required time. If you want, you can fasten the feeder base to a wooden board for extra stability. This automatic smart feeder offers a 3 years warranty.
- It has a large capacity dry food hopper that can hold 3Kgs of food
- It can be cleaned easily since the components are dishwasher safe
- It has a pet-proof snap-lock lid and a self-closing feed nozzle to prevent your pets from feeding before the required time.
- Since each unit of food is dispensed separately, the Cate Mate C3000 is a bit too loud for your comfort.
Our choice for the third place is the Microchip Cat Feeder By Sure Petcare. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
The SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder is a microchip access-controlled feeding cat bowl timer that means your cat’s food remains their own. This is the new way of feeding your cats given that most pets these days are fitted with microchips to control access in and out of their homes.
It is built to help pet owners stop animals from stealing food and to keep the food fresh for a long time. By owning this microchip feeder you can rest assured that your pet’s food will not go missing and will not dry out. It works well with the microchip cat flap with a timer to secure your pet’s food all the time while you are away.
The SureFeed Programmable Pet Feeder is compatible with all pet microchips worldwide and what is more, it comes with a SureFlap rfid collar tag for non-microchipped animals. You do not have to worry about battery life since the SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder uses 4 C cell batteries that have 6-month battery life.
The amazing features of the SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder include the programmable microchip which allows you to program your pet’s microchip at the simple touch of a button. It can be used to serve both dry and wet food and both are kept fresher for longer thanks to the sealed bowl.
When it comes to security, the SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder is simply the best. The locking lid only opens when a registered pet approaches and remains closed to unauthorized animals. This microchip cat feeder is also ideal for feeding more than one pet.
This is because it has the function that causes it to close automatically once the authorized cat has finished eating. The SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder has a training function to help your pet get used to the feeding dispenser.
- It is a secure feeding mechanism since the programmed microchip only allows registered cats to eat.
- It comes with a bowl, double bowl, and mat made of silicone
- It is suitable for feeding special, dry and wet food or medication
- It has a long battery life, which is 6 months of continued use
- This is the best automatic cat feeder in the microchipped automatic feeders category since it is compatible with all microchips options worldwide
- Excellent price to value ratio and programmable feeding schedules
- Reviews say that it may not be convenient for a multi-cat family household where the cats have varying dietary requirements
Fourth place goes to the Pet Feeder And Waterer Set By Lalagouk. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
This is an amazing automatic pet food dispenser that features a food hopper and a separate water dispenser that can cater to your cat and dog’s feeding needs throughout the week. It is suitable for pet owners who work a lot but cannot afford to leave their animals unattended throughout the week.
This set caters for the feeding needs of both cats and small dogs as well as other small animals that you keep in your living room. It is an affordable set that cares for your animals without breaking the bank. What is more, you don’t need to have any technical skills for its operation.
All you have to do is fill the hopper with dry cat/dog food and it will automatically dispense it into the cat feeding bowl. This automatic cat feeder features a non-slip bottom design. This is an ideal design for cats and dogs because they tend to push the feeding bowl a lot due to the excitement.
It is worth noting that the base of this pet feeding machine can be disassembled for easy cleaning. To fill the hopper, first put the grain storage barrels into the base to complete the assembly of the feeder then open the lid on top of grain storage barrels. Finally, add food to the feeder. A point to note is that the Waterer cannot be filled with hot water. Only cold or warm water can be used.
- This pet feeder is made of environmentally friendly non-toxic plastic
- It uses a translucent grain storage barrels design to make it easy for you to determine the remaining capacity
- The food and water storages are large enough to cater for your pets’ feeding needs for a long time
- It has competitive price with excellent cost to value ratio
- Does not come with a timer
Fifth place goes to the 6L Voice Recorder Pet Feeder By Dreamu. We gave it a 4.5/5 star rating.
This automatic cat feeder is designed to eliminate the hassle involved in feeding your cats. It ensures that all your animals are fed on time whether you are around or not. It is a fully programmable timed pet feeder that gives your pets each meal based on the portion size and feeding schedule that you set.
It works mostly with dry kibble pet foods although you can customize your pet’s meals with flexible portions of 4 meals a day. Having portion control of meals and consistency in the feeding routine helps to manage your pet’s weight.
This automatic cat feeder has some amazing features that make it one of the best options. For instance, it features a large capacity that can hold up to 6 litres or 25 cups which makes it convenient for serving your pet up to 4 meals a day. Each meal dispensed is around 10-12g and they can be spread up to 39 portions.
All you need to do is choose your portion sizes option and the unit will do the rest. The other key feature of this unit is a built-in voice recording and a speaker that lets you record your voice for 10 seconds to call your pet for meals.
To prevent food locking and spills, this unit has a built-in infrared detection which helps to make your animals enjoy their dinner. Although the dispenser can fit any different shapes of dry foods, the portion sizes cannot exceed 1cm by 1cm.
- Its automated capabilities offer you to manage the health and well-being of your pet easily
- It features a large capacity that can hold up to 6 litres and lets you serve your cats up to four meals per day
- It comes with a built-in voice recorder and speaker to record your voice for 10 seconds
- The built-in infrared detection helps to prevent food locking and spills
- The ultra-low power consumption makes it an economical cat's food feeder
- Programming feeding schedule is one of the best available
- After around five months of use, you will notice the small pieces of black rubber from the portion dispense wheel appearing in the cat food. This has something to do with the durability of the cat automatic feeder.
Sixth place goes to the Easy Clean Auto Cat Feeder By Cat Mate. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
The Cat Mate C20 pet feeder is an amazing creation from Pet Mate that is designed to feed your cat, kittens or small dogs when you are away, during the day, evening or over the weekend. It has two compartments in which wet food is kept and it remains fresh for longer thanks to the ice packs.
In case you are wondering how much trouble you are going to undergo cleaning these two compartments, there is none. You will love the fact they are cleaned easily given that they are dishwasher-proof.
When they are in use, these compartments are sealed by closely fitting lids and the wet food is cooled by a built-in ice pack. All you need to do is set the timer on each lid to open at the required time. This time can be up to 48 hours later.
- It features two large food bowls, each can hold 1 pound. This is enough to keep your animals fed for all the time that you will be away.
- It is easy to clean since the lid and bowls are easy to remove and are dishwasher-proof
- It includes an ice pack that helps to keep the food fresh for longer
- This automatic feeder can be easily attached to a removable wooden board for stability.
- It is the best cat feeder that can be used as a cat biscuit storage container since it can be easily cleaned
- Reviews say that the only drawback of this cat feeder is that it lacks the voice recorder function.
Seventh place goes to the Programmable Digital Cat Feeder By Petsafe. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed automatic feeder provides a convenient and stress-free feeding solution for those pet parents who want to have a peace of mind knowing their cats' food is properly served and their weights are well managed. It achieves this by offering a portioned feeding routine which ensures consistency in the portion and manner in which the animals are fed.
Whether you are home or away from home, the LCD display PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed automatic feeder ensures that your pet is well-fed. It features a modern design that includes a hygienic stainless steel bowl that blends well with the rest of your kitchen’s décor.
The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed timer features a customizable feeding schedule and portion control that controls up to 12 meals on a daily basis. On top of that, it has an LCD display and a feature that is known as the slow eating option which is meant for pets that gulp to prevent vomiting and bloating.
It also contains preset meal portions dispensed two times a day at 8 in the morning and 5 in the evening. The meal scheduling feature is quite useful especially when your cats eat in smaller portions at frequent intervals throughout the day. The capacity hopper is translucent to enable you to monitor the food level.
The Petsafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed automatic feeder has several amazing key features. For instance, it automatically locks after two minutes of inactivity. This helps to prevent accidental use.
Secondly, the Healthy Pet Simply Feed automatic feeder provides the status of the battery which is estimated to last a year. It has an optional default dog feeding schedule and another feature that slows down the rate of dispensing food to regulate the feeding of gulping animals.
READ NEXT: The best rabbit hutch you can buy
- It is a hassle-free dog and cat feeder that gives you the peace of mind knowing your animals will be fed at the right time.
- The petsafe smart feeder is easy to clean since it can be taken apart and placed in the dishwasher.
- It is adaptable to your pet’s feeding portion size since it can serve portions ranging from 29ml to 940ml.
- It has a very flexible feeding schedule that caters to the needs of even the busiest pet parent. You can program up to 12 meals.
- Excellent LCD display control panel to see programmed meals
- The only drawback of this feeder according to one review is that it only provides food under their "cup" unit and cannot really customize the exact amount given.
Eighth place goes to the 2 Meal Automatic Pet Feeder By Petsafe. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
The PetSafe Digital is a fully programmable feeder. The feeder features two food tray cavities, each of which can hold up to 200 grams of dry food. The feeder can be timed to control portions. This is very useful to ensure that the cats do not overeat.
Not only can you time the feeder for the day, but you can also time it for 4 days in advance. When your pet is done, it can also be cleaned with ease. Being dishwasher safe and having a simple design, cleaning the feeder is very easy. The PetSafe comes with a 2-year guarantee.
READ NEXT: The best microchip catflap you can buy
- 2 years warranty for the best user experience
- Timer eat option, you can program different eating times easily and 4 days in advance
- The 2 food tray cavities are easy to clean
- Requires four batteries instead of standard two batteries.
- Manual setup required every time you use it and time can only be set in hours.
Ninth place goes to the 49Hr Timer Auto Food Dispenser By Trixie. We gave it a 4/5 star rating.
Worried about getting someone to feed your hungry pet some fresh food while away? This automatic cat food container will make the job easier. It can dispense both dry and wet food and provides a mechanism to keep it fresh. There is a timer that will ensure that your pet does not miss a meal or wake you up on a Sunday morning for its bowl. It is suitable for small dogs and cats.
This option comes with twin 300ml plastic feeding bowls that can take either dry or wet food. It has two ice packs that ensure your food remains fresh and you will need to place the icepacks below the feeder dish.
Since food storage is a sensitive issue and contamination with dirt could cause bacterial infections, this food reservoir is made of 100% plastic that is easy to clean with a simple wipe. The bowl is also detachable for thorough cleaning.
Also, there is a 48-hour timer option ensuring that the food is dispensed at the right time interval you set it as long as it is within the 48-hour time frame. You can set two meals per day of 300 ml each, which you can program together or separately. This feeder features rubber feet that are non-slip, preventing your pet from accidentally knocking over the food.
It is battery operated, meaning you can use it both indoors and outdoors. Also, you need to ensure that it is in a cool place, away from direct sunlight and moisture, preferably in a shaded area. With its multi-lingual set of instructions on how to get your pet to adapt to the automatic feeder, you will surely enjoy using this product.
The device measures 7.5 x 24.5 x 27.5 cm and weighs 912 g without being intrusive. It makes use of 2 AA mignon batteries making it possible for you to meet your pet feeding goal with ease.
- You can use these products for semi-moist and wet food.
- The device can be cleaned easily, ensuring that you give your pet food from a clean device.
- It has perfect timing, with two separate timers you can program to allow the bowls to open at different feeding times per day.
- The device makes it easy to measure the portions you are giving your pet.
- The package does not come with the needed batteries or a battery backup.
- Users say intelligent animals may be capable of opening the feeder before the set feed time.
- Some cats are allergic to plastic, and the device being 100% plastic would have a negative effect.
Tenth place goes to the 5 Days Meal Pet Feeder By Bounty. We gave it a 3.5/5 star rating.
This 5 days automatic cat feeder comes in two different colours; white and pink. If you are that pet owner who constantly finds yourself worrying about keeping your pet fed when you are not around, then you need to get the Bunty automatic pet feeder.
It will enable you to leave your dog or cat unsupervised and you will not have to worry about meals. Simply program your scheduled feedings and the Bunty automatic feeder will ensure your pet is fed on time.
It is split into five separate compartments whereby each compartment has a capacity of 175ml. When the time for feeding reaches, the top cover rotates and your pet can access the food with ease.
One of the amazing features of these models is the integrated voice record function. This one allows you to record your own personal message to let your pet know its feeding time. With this feature, you do not have to worry even when you are not around the house and it is time to feed your pet.
This is because the recorded voice message will always call to feed your cat at the preprogrammed time. You can program up to six different feeding times. This auto feeder requires only 4 C batteries to operate. Unfortunately, these batteries are not included in the package but they are readily available in any convenience store around you.
- It has amazing features such as the integrated voice record function that lets you call your best friend to feed using your personalized recorded voice.
- Uses long-lasting batteries although they are not included in the package
- It is one of the most stylish and handy automatic cat feeders
- You can program up to 6 different eating times 5 days in advance
- These products are very simple to use
- Its price it features is not expensive hence suitable for a pet owner who wants to save some money
- It is not very durable compared to the high-end automatic cat feeders
Automatic Cat Feeder Buying Guide
Cats are adorable, no doubt about that, and they need proper care and attention. Just as you would invest in a rabbit hutch, dry dog food, and hedgehog house for your other animals, there are devices designed to help you care for your cat when you are not around.
An automatic cat feeder will feed your cat at set times throughout the day. A microchip cat flap ensures that only your pet can come in and feed from the cat feeder. You can be sure that no strange animals will eat your cat’s food or spread germs around the house. We will show you how to pick the best automatic cat feeder.
The Benefits of Having an Automatic Pet Feeder
The modern-day pet owner is much different from his/her earlier counterparts. He/she is certainly busier than ever with fulltime jobs or constant travels. This lifestyle is likely to hinder the way a pet owner cares for his/her animals. Thankfully, automatic cat feeders are true to their word, they make the life of a busy pet owner much easier.
There are thousands and thousands of benefits that you are going to enjoy as a result of owning an automatic pet feeder. These benefits are going to put a smile not only on your face but also on the faces of your furry friends.
The first benefit that you will enjoy as a result of owning an automatic pet feeder is flexibility with your time. If you are a frequent traveller, you will not worry about how your pet will be fed in your absence.
An automatic pet feeder cares for your pet’s feeding needs to its satisfaction leaving both you and the pet feeling happy and excited. This means that you no longer have to cut short your travelling schedules or work engagements in the name of feeding your pet.
Secondly, an automatic dog and cat feeder helps you manage the weight of your pet. If your pet is underweight, these devices are designed to help your pet get a regular balanced diet that will see it gain the correct weight within a couple of days.
If, on the other hand, the pet is overweight and needs to lose weight, an automatic pet feeder will provide you with options to regulate its meals per day until its weight is manageable. The third benefit is that an automatic pet feeder allows you to feed your cat and even it the cat eats special dietary food.
For instance, if your pet is suffering from, say diabetes, an automatic pet feeder will see to it that the pet is well-fed. Also, some of the advanced automatic cat feeders have a slow feeding feature that caters to the gulping cats so that they do not vomit or choke while feeding.
Last but not least, an automatic pet feeder is easy to clean, use and maintain. This is because its components are dishwasher safe and can be mounted on wooden boards for stability. Therefore, an automatic feeder is what you need for your loved animals especially if you travel a lot or you work a full-time job.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Automatic Pet Feeder
Buying an automatic type of feeder is not a simple task especially if you are doing it for the first time. Part of the reason is that there are so many hence you may be confused which one is right for you.
Secondly, it may be difficult to understand your pet’s feeding needs. As such, you may need expert opinion and information regarding the same. Here are some of the factors that you need to put into consideration before purchasing an automatic pet feeder.
First and foremost, you need to consider the feeder’s dispensable portions. You need to go for an automatic pet feeder which releases the amount of pet food that is enough for your pet. The amount should not be too little neither should it be too much. You do not want to underfeed or overfeed your pet because there are consequences to that.
Secondly, consider the number of times that the feeder can dispense food per day. Most automatic cat feeders can dispense at least five times a day. Depending on the number of animals you have and their feeding requirements, you may need a feeder that caters to your cats in a proportionate way.
Also, consider the capacity of the feeder’s hopper. This is the amount of food that the feeder can hold. The storage capacity of your should be adequate otherwise it will fail to address the challenges that travelling pet owners encounter.
Last but not least, take into consideration the power source that powers your automatic pet feeder. While some run on electricity, most of the automatic cat feeders are powered by batteries, and some of them also have a camera. It is also important to think about the security of the food in the feeder. If you hold a microchipped cat, it would make sense to purchase a microchip activated kitty timed feeder. Microchips are the best security features for an automatic pet feeder.
Safety Precautions When Using an Automatic Pet Feeder
There are certain safety precautions that you need to observe when using an electric cat feeder or any other options. This is because, just like any other electronic device, it poses the risk of electrocution to your beloved furry friends.
First and foremost, if you are using an electricity-powered feeder, ensure that the cable connecting it to the mains is not broken or naked at all. A broken wire increases the chances of electrocution. Secondly, do not plug it into an overloaded power extension.
The other precaution that you should take has to do with the use of the automatic pet feeder. You need to prohibit the use of hot water in the pet’s water dispenser. Stick only to warm or cold water.
Lastly, you need to periodically clean the inside of the pallet to ensure the pet’s health is in tiptop condition. When washing the automatic pet feeder, do not use corrosive cleaning agents to clean.
Automatic Cat Feeder Buying FAQs
Q: How many cats can it support?
A: The number of animals that a particular pet feeder can support is usually indicated by the manufacturer. Alternatively, you can tell by looking at the design of the pet feeder. A multi-cat feeder is likely to have more than one pet feeder station.
Q: How long can the cat feeder with timer be preset on an automatic pet feeder?
A: Most of the automatic cat feeders allow a preset time of up to 48 hours although it could be longer depending on the brand and model that you are buying.
Q: How long can the ice packs keep wet food fresh?
A: For most of the automatic feeders, the length of time can be between one and two days.
Additional Readings You May Enjoy